Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Insensitivity: A Good Technique? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:09 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Insensitivity: A Good Technique?

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow
Post #1439104
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 2:18 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 AM
Friday morning probably isn't the best time to try to get me thinking to that level, but thanks nonetheless. It's thought-provoking, and a good reminder that, to get the best out of people, we should encourage the use of ALL tools at our disposal. Variety is good, so long as it's properly managed, and the benefits can far outweigh the potential risks.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #1439129
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 4:38 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:40 AM
Treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated - a Biblical value that is timeless / cluture independent and works - beats psychobabble any day
Post #1439151
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 7:15 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:18 AM
This article couldn't be more timely for me.

Thanks!
Post #1439198
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 7:38 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:36 AM
Surely dogs speak Doggish?

Yep, please excuse me: it's Friday afternoon and nearly beer time.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1439214
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 7:41 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:49 PM
Emotion isn't a bad thing but not knowing when to turn it off can be just as bad as not knowing when to turn it on. We all have opinions but that simple fact doesn't make each one valid or valuable.

Cheers
Post #1439218
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 8:07 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 7:37 AM
In the more social professions (like healthcare, politics, and education), emotions are vital. If you don't have people skills, then you're basically just not qualified for the job.

In professions like engineering, scientific research, and defense, emotions just get in the way. At least that's the case at the lower technical level. Of course every industry has a public facing level, even if only a small percentage of the professionals in that industry are directly involved in it.
Post #1439236
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
The problem I see far too much in the work place today is when someone disagrees with someone else professionally about something involving the work, the other person takes it very personally and then becomes uncooperative and combative from that point on. Sometimes, even trying to sabotage the other person, or their efforts on the job because of it. This kind of juvenile behavior has no place in the work place and I have seen it literally destroy teams and productivity. Not all people are going to agree about everything, that's a fact. But that is also what makes this world so interesting in my opinion. So, please leave the personal vendettas and character assasinations at the door. Calling people belittling names in front of others, or refusing to help someone, simply because they disagree with your point of view and such is not only unprofessional, it is so "junior high" If someone asks you a question you don't know the answer to, just say "I really don't know but I will find out." If someone brings up a point of view you don't agree with, then just say "I beg to differ" and explain your point of view, minus calling the person names like a "troll", for example. In other words, don't get pissed off, combative, and revengeful at the person for bringing up a question or viewpoint that you did not know how to handle. That's not their problem..

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1439267
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 9:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 7:37 AM
Belittling and sabotaging the efforts of co-workers goes beyond insensitivity. Fortunately where I work someone like that wouldn't last long. If one is not part of the solution, then one useless. If one is actually creating new problems, then HR is probably already searching for one's replacement.
Post #1439294
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 9:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Eric M Russell (4/5/2013)
Belittling and sabotaging the efforts of co-workers goes beyond insensitivity. Fortunately where I work someone like that wouldn't last long. If one is not part of the solution, then one useless. If one is actually creating new problems, then HR is probably already searching for one's replacement.

I have seen just the opposite occur in many shops, those are the very people that seem to outlast the good people.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1439308
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse