Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Google Glass Your Database Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Google Glass Your Database

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1437351
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 4:25 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:52 AM
April 1?
Post #1437395
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 7:48 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:42 AM
That "Minority Report" style interface for analysis services doesn't seem that far fetched. The data resources and UI components already exist. Microsoft Kinect and a star mapping algorithm and you're on your way.
Post #1437438
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 7:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
I must say the whole idea of this sends shivers down my spine. I could just see it all now. People walking into walls or each other, people walking off stairs or into traffic, people driving thtrough intersections and running red lights and causing major injury accidents/and or death. There would have to be some very strictly enforced laws on when and where you could use these. Otherwise, this would make driving and texting seem like childs play. In a mobile world like we have today, this is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1437440
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 9:34 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
Hmm... an interesting idea; however, I think that most people would get lost in say 7-dimensional space. Personally, whenever I am dealing with cubes, I fall back on my pretty thorough training in n-dimensional vector math an instead of space I think of abstract operators.
Post #1437500
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 9:35 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 12:10 PM
Damn! I was ready to run out at lunch and buy a pair!

Sigerson

"No pressure, no diamonds." - Thomas Carlyle
Post #1437501
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 10:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 5:02 PM
Definitely want one (even if it is April 1).
Post #1437527
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 12:22 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:14 AM
Sorry, but I can't let is slide. :-(

I'm sure most of you have heard of Google Glasses by now.

It is Google Glass, not Glasses. The reason they named it that way is because it has a single lens. Glasses have two.

To the point of your April Fool's joke - who knows. Maybe you are on target for some things that will be possible in the future. Think of all the technology we have today and how nobody envisioned it 40 years ago, and in some cases even 5 years ago.

I was speaking to my nephew while visiting for Easter. He is in school for electrical engineering. One point that came up is the story of how the Apollo missions had less computing power than an iPod. Not sure how true that is, but I know my first PC (486 with Turbo boost!!!) sure wasn't as powerful as my iPhone!

I do things today much easier with my handheld computer technology (phone, iPad, et cetera) than I ever imagined. Maybe we need to point Google in the direction you joked about and see what happens!

Dave
Post #1437563
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 12:55 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 12:10 PM
I was speaking to my nephew while visiting for Easter. He is in school for electrical engineering. One point that came up is the story of how the Apollo missions had less computing power than an iPod.

As I recall they used an 8-bit CPU and either 4K or 8K maximum program size. It was assembly code, but still that's not much if you're trying to do lunar insertion course corrections.

Sigerson

"No pressure, no diamonds." - Thomas Carlyle
Post #1437578
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 12:56 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:23 PM
Sigerson (4/1/2013)
I was speaking to my nephew while visiting for Easter. He is in school for electrical engineering. One point that came up is the story of how the Apollo missions had less computing power than an iPod.

As I recall they used an 8-bit CPU and either 4K or 8K maximum program size. It was assembly code, but still that's not much if you're trying to do lunar insertion course corrections.

Talk about having to write tight, accurate code.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1437580
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse