Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

What does Microsoft Update do? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 24, 2014 6:01 AM
For MS SQL Server, what does the Microsoft Update tool actually update?

I had assumed that it would update the version of SQL server installed to the latest service pack. It turns out I was wrong - very wrong.

Here's what Microsoft has to say:
Link
Which products does Microsoft Update support?
In addition to Windows updates, the Microsoft Update website offers updates for some Microsoft products, including Microsoft Office 2003, Office XP, Microsoft Exchange Server, and Microsoft SQL Server. Typically, only updates for the latest version of each product are offered.

What does "Typically" mean here? Does it mean ONLY the latest service pack of each major version (e.g. 10.50.4000+, 11.0.3000+, etc.) or only the latest service pack of the latest version (11.0+)?
Post #1436490
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:13 PM
Sorry for the delay. The SQL Server support has been spotty and I don't know anyone using this.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1438524
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse