Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

How to study for MCSA SQL Server 2012 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:48 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sql+2012+certification&sprefix=SQL+2012+%2Cstripbooks%2C303
Post #1436111
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:53 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:24 PM
Thanks for that. I have the exam stuff, but this caught my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Microsoft-Server-2012-Programming/dp/1118102282/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364410337&sr=1-4&keywords=sql+server+2012+beginners
Post #1436115
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 6:03 AM
I've been in your shoes. Consider leveraging your previous career to gain a position that will allow you to interact with and use SQL Server in an employment setting. There are more than a few DBAs and developers who began as the guy or girl who just was really good at pulling data together from databases and wound up as the de facto administrator for SQL Server. Way back when I had a job in a human services field and computers were a hobby. Then the company I worked for hired a full-time system admin who had never worked in our field. I had enough computer savvy to be the "translator" between him and our management. Eventually it led to me becoming his assistant. Later on I got into desktop/field support full-time. Along the way I created a number of databases using MS Access (don't laugh, guys) and learned the basics of databases and relational theory.

In my current job, I was hired for my desktop experience but my boss was particularly interested in the fact I had some database and VBA experience as well. To make a long story short, today I have a PC at my desk with a developer copy of Visual Studio, which includes SQL Server 2005. I'm entirely self-taught. mostly by devouring Sql Server Books Online, which is included with SQL Server and is also available via MSDN (the MSDN version allows you to select which version of SQL Server you're interested in, which is important because there are still older versions of SQL Server in production use out there). Books Online (or BOL as it is affectionately known in cyberspace) contains a great deal of tutorials and how-tos which will at bare minimum give you a solid, well-rounded knowledge of SQL Server as well as SS Integration Services, Analysis Services and Reporting Services.

At any rate, the point I am belaboring is that the IT world in general is more interested in what you can do rather than what you know. Certifications are fine and I do not in any way wish to dissuade you from your goals, but as others have pointed out finding a way right now to get some practical experience under your belt will not only help you with the exams, but also down the road when you try to land your dream position.

Good luck and go for it.

Post #1436443
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Great post and I totally agree with you larry. The point of the certification was JUST to get the first job and as fast as possible (I'd like a home and a family with my wife in the next few years). It's just getting my foot through the door. After that I could care less about certifications, I'll absorb knowledge like a hawk.
Post #1436448
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:59 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

There is a lot of debate over the value of certification and I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Like many in this field, I became a defacto-dba via support for end-user applications with SQL (and FoxPro) back ends. I found that with a good set of instructions and minimal knowledge, one can install SQL Server, a third party application that connects to a database, and the whole system might run for years in manner that does allow users to get their jobs done. The problem is that performance issues might occur, or the system may crash for one reason or another, and the defacto DBA need to be able to do something other than reboot the server.

And even then, once you get a good backup routine in place and you're learned the difference between inner & outer joins, your site probably STILL doesn't utilize all the features of SQL Server. If many SQL Server features are a mystery, your users may not be getting all the benefit they can get, may be suffering unnecessary performance issues, and may be at risk for security breeches. And if you find yourself job hunting, the company you want to work for may be looking for knowledge & experience in functions you know little about.

In my case, I've found that studying for certification has exposed me to many more features of SQL, some of which I've started using to my employer's benefit without them asking me to do it (unless your bosses are DBAs, they wouldn't know to ask you to do them). And as for other features I've experimented with on my VM at home but have no need for in my work environment, these may be among the skills being sought at my next job interview.
Post #1436643
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:32 PM
SSC Rookie

I appreciate that very informative post, especially the certification part.
Post #1436658
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 10:05 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:03 PM
Can anyone advise for MCSA 70-461 from where can I download the sample database TSQL2012?
Post #1468767
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 11:13 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

The link is on page xxvii:
http://tsql.solidq.com/books/tk70461/
Post #1468769
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:20 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:49 PM
Hi. How's the job hunting? I am also looking for an entry-level SQL developer job here in NYC. Did you pass any of the SQL Server 2012 cert exams yet? I will be taking my first one this month. I would love to hear of your progress.
Post #1528627
Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:24 PM
SSC Rookie

I have found no entry level jobs in south florida, nor on the job training or internships. I've been studying meanwhile, doing all the chapters like 4-5 times. I should be ready for the exam the first week of February, since i haven't been rushing.
Post #1528632
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse