Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Car Data Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:57 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Car Data

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1434649
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 3:29 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:56 PM
In the UK I expect telematics to be widely adopted by the insurance industry. These telematic devices produce several "events" per second so 1 million events per user per day is a realistic figure as is 64Mb of data per user per day.

For the most part the data will be junk. I drive for about 3 hours a day so 21 hours worth of data will be useless other than to tell that my car stood still at a particular location.

I'm not sure how many vehicles there are active on the roads in the UK but the DVLA say that 28 million were registered last year.

If it becomes mandatory to have a telematics device in the vehicle that's about 1.8Pb of data that will have to be processed of which less than 0.3Pb will need to be retained. Not really that big in the grand scheme of things.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1434788
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 7:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:32 PM
There was an interesting side note in Road and Track's review of the Tesla S this month.They'd found that the car was speed limited during a performance test; they advised Tesla who, without the R & T being aware, updated the software remotely over the car's 3G link and removed the limit. It's a good thing it was the good guys updating the software. :)
Post #1434899
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 8:39 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:37 AM
It's not just lost keys. Drop a mechanical key in a puddle, no big deal. Electronic key?

Fortunately a replacement key for my car costs about $2. That's fine with me. (In a blizzard a couple of years ago, I dropped my keys in a snowbank, only to find them after the snow melted. They still worked fine)

I carry my own electronics rather than have it installed in the car.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1434947
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 8:56 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:06 AM
Best one for keys is the 2003/04 Nissan Micra.

From http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/

Early Micra K12s with 'intelligent keys' are becoming economic write-offs because when the system fails a new steering column and rack is required costing £1,500.
Post #1434955
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 8:56 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 10:27 AM
Another type of data stored is video. Recently a meteor exploded over Russia. The event was captured on lots of dashcam's. Imagine storing all of that data? They do it to protect themselves.
Post #1434956
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 9:10 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:37 AM
John Hanrahan (3/25/2013)
Another type of data stored is video. Recently a meteor exploded over Russia. The event was captured on lots of dashcam's. Imagine storing all of that data? They do it to protect themselves.

Well not all that is stored. It's typically a looping camera, downloaded only when something interesting happens.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1434966
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 9:12 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:57 AM
I hadn't thought about the puddle. I'd hope the keys can withstand some brief immersion. I know I've dropped the Prius keys in the snow and it hasn't been a big deal, partially because I don't need to "plug" it in. I can set it on the console and start the car.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1434969
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 10:14 AM
Right there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
What I don't like about newer vehicles is the windows getting smaller. I have a 25 year old Toyota van (they didn't call them minivans back then, although that's what it is) which I got used about 15 years ago. It was easy to see around the vehicle from the driver's seat. Recently we've gotten a newer Toyota minivan, a nice 2006 Sienna. However the windows are smaller. I have a much harder time backing up that vehicle because I can't see as well to back it up. I'm convinced that's the reason why manufacturers are putting in those cameras, so you can see in the back of the vehicle when you back it up. I kind of feel ripped off; you know they add something for $1000+ because they're reduced the visibility you used to have. Why not just make my windows larger, and save me the $1000?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1435006
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 10:57 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:56 PM

Well not all that is stored. It's typically a looping camera, downloaded only when something interesting happens.

Jackpot!

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1435051
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse