Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

How to impersonate an AD Login within a AD Group defined in SQL Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:59 PM
That is what I said earlier.....the problem is that SQL Server cannot natively read members out of an AD group confgiured as a login in SQL Server itself.

I am a little confused as to what is really required here that AD users and groups cannot achieve.....

Maybe I should just go and grab a coffee....
Post #1435457
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:09 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:34 AM
Same here. I had a quick look at Tableau BOL, I must say, it seems a little obscure to me. Or maybe I also need more coffee.

Post #1435460
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:20 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:02 AM
Kevaburg, you were correct in saying it wouldn't work. I was trying to explain the situation to the other 2 posters why I didn't have the luxury of using other methods to accomplish this. I am bound by Tableau Server.

I am putting in a request to add another authentication method where it will pass the AD credentials through from the Tableau Server login to the backend DB. I am not a coder but it doesn't seem to be that difficult of a request. It seems pretty standard these days. Talking with one of their engineers, they did mention that having the each AD login defined in SQL instead of using groups allows for row level security at the user level which Tableau will respect. It just seems strange that they would force you through this model when you aren't using row level security...so we will see where the tool goes.

Thanks for the input everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options here.

Post #1435467
Posted Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:24 AM
Hi Old Hand,

Most probably your user is sysadmin, or has CONTROL SERVER access. Try without these - it won't work! laker_42 is right!
Post #1439663
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse