Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

how to create user that can login to create and edit but cannot delete? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:02 PM
Circumstances require a user that can be restricted to login to a specific database to create and edit data entered into tables but cannot delete anything. I presume this type of security has been around awhile but I could not find anything searching around so I ask is it possible and if so I need to learn how.

I may also need some help with the T-SQL because the database is being generated by script that was generated by a tool and I will have to modify that generated sql script to create the user and login.

Post #1431324
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:18 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:46 AM
clintonG (3/14/2013)
Circumstances require a user that can be restricted to login to a specific database to create and edit data entered into tables but cannot delete anything. I presume this type of security has been around awhile but I could not find anything searching around so I ask is it possible and if so I need to learn how.

I may also need some help with the T-SQL because the database is being generated by script that was generated by a tool and I will have to modify that generated sql script to create the user and login.

Take a look at GRANT and DENY in Books Online (press the {f1} key in SSMS to get there) and also have a look at all the different permissions that can be used in the links included in those two BOL articles.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1431356
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:25 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:35 AM
Just right click on the database and take permission tab. here u can assign the user for permissions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/ms178569.aspx

Post #1431873
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:40 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:04 AM
clintonG (3/14/2013)

insert and update all tables or a handful?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1431936
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:07 PM
SSC Rookie

Here is one solution perhaps the best I've learned so far:

// Transact-SQL
REVOKE privilege_name
ON object_name
FROM {user_name |PUBLIC |role_name}

// Example
REVOKE DELETE
ON TransactionRecordsTable
FROM employee

Post #1431937
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:12 PM
SSC Rookie

Perry Whittle (3/16/2013)
clintonG (3/14/2013)

insert and update all tables or a handful?

Disallow a specific User type the permission to DELETE any type of object in a specific database including disallowing deleting the database itself.

This is a project for small businesses like pawnbrokers and second-hand resellers to record transactions they are required to report to police. I intend to disallow DELETE for what I hope is now an obvious reason. I think we call it "cover my @ss lol.

Post #1431939
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:31 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:04 AM
clintonG (3/16/2013)
Here is one solution perhaps the best I've learned so far:

// Transact-SQL
REVOKE privilege_name
ON object_name
FROM {user_name |PUBLIC |role_name}

// Example
REVOKE DELETE
ON TransactionRecordsTable
FROM employee

REVOKE only clears the granted permission, a user may still obtain this via another role,etc.

clintonG (3/16/2013)
Disallow a specific User type the permission to DELETE any type of object in a specific database

You could grant the user insert and update permission on the schema the objects reside in.

clintonG (3/16/2013)
including disallowing deleting the database itself.

No need to fear here as this requires a high level of elevated privilege. The user must have at least CONTROL on the database or be a member of DB_Owner role or SYSADMIN role, as long as you're not granting this then that's fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1431940
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:06 PM
SSC Rookie

You could grant the user insert and update permission on the schema the objects reside in.

I was going to try it this way:

EXEC sp_addrolemember db_datareader, $(DatabaseUserName)
EXEC sp_addrolemember db_datawriter, $(DatabaseUserName)
REVOKE DELETE
ON $(DatabaseName)
FROM {$(DatabaseUserName)}

* Is the syntax correct?
* Is there anything problematic with this approach?

Post #1431951
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:47 PM
SSC Rookie

clintonG (3/16/2013)

I was going to try it this way:

REVOKE DELETE
ON $(DatabaseName)

* Is the syntax correct?

Post #1431952
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:57 PM
SSC Rookie

// FAILED:

REVOKE DELETE
ON $(DatabaseName)

* Is the syntax correct?

When I ran CreateUser.sql that failed with this message:
Cannot grant, deny, or revoke permissions to sa, dbo, entity owner, information_schema, sys, or yourself.

// CreateUser.sql
:setvar DatabaseName "PasswordVault"
:setvar DatabaseUserName "csg"
:setvar DatabaseUserPassword "csg"
GO

USE [$(DatabaseName)]

DECLARE @usercount int
SELECT @usercount=COUNT(name) FROM sys.database_principals WHERE name = '$(DatabaseUserName)'
IF @usercount = 0
CREATE USER $(DatabaseUserName) FOR LOGIN $(DatabaseUserName)
GO

REVOKE DELETE
ON $(DatabaseName)
GO

NOTE: no previous login or user named 'csg' existed before I ran scripts. Another script actually generates the database and the database was created as expected.

Neither a Login nor User named csg was created by CreateUser.sql.

Apparently CreateUser.sql bombed out because it tried to REVOKE DELETE on something not allowed but I can't determine what at the moment.

Post #1431953
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse