Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSAS/MDX Unit Testing Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:17 AM
Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of searching round for ways to unit test cubes and the results seem to be limited. What we're trying to do is make sure that any releases we make to live don't alter the existing numbers, unless we are aware that this should be the case, obviously we'd then make a change to the tests.

I've been toying with the idea of creating framework using ADOMD.NET, but this appears to be limited to single result set numbers, e.g.

Select [Measures].[Total Sales Value] On 0
From [My Cube]
Where [Date].[Year - Month - Day].[Date].&[20130313]

Does anyone have any ideas? In the meantime I'll continue searching round for ADOMD.NET stuff and post back any results I find.

Cheers,

Jim.

SQL SERVER Central Forum Etiquette
Post #1430265
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 3:29 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:17 AM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd drop a note back to say that I found some software on codeplex that can do this for you. It's called QueryUnit, which builds a dll that can be consumed by Nunit, which integrates directly with Visual Studio 2012.

So I've now set up about 30 tests for different measures and such like that executes against live to test that nothing unexpected has changed after releases.

Hope this helps someone!

SQL SERVER Central Forum Etiquette
Post #1431423
Posted Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:18 AM
Hi,

You should try NBi available at nbi.codeplex.com If you compare it to QueryUnit, it's easier to spot the difference between the expected resultset and the result of the test execution (especially with large resultset).

With NBi you can also test the structure of your cube and check that dimensions, hierarchies, measures are avilable. Other features include also the possibility to check your memebers in dimensions/hierrachies.

You can create large test-suite with this tool, on our side we've more than 2000 tests on the structure and the test-suite run without problems.
Post #1462969
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse