Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Resetting DMVs Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:13 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:52 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Resetting DMVs

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1430231
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:20 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:09 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with this post.
Trying to troubleshoot a crashed SQL Server instance, without DMV data, is an extremely difficult task.

Post #1430249
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:56 PM
Well said. Index usage stats are particularly revealing.

I'm in the process of deprecating and consolidating systems and key weapon in the arsenal is being able to proove categorically that the data has not been read in any way other than by system processes.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1430255
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:19 PM
I agree. Also, default to save and make it configurable as those databases which may require it to be off are exactly the ones with a professional DBA to evaluate the choice.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1430263
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:24 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, August 31, 2014 8:13 AM
This would work, especially if there is a default retention time for the data, any data beyond that would be cleared out by a garbage collector, and any databases that need extra special trouble shooting can be extended, for analysis.

This would also save all the un-managed systems that exist out there from becoming bloated with months of unused dmv data.
Post #1430311
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:50 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:16 PM
That got me thinking. Why is this data removed? I'm sure some of the data is stored in memory and automatically reset, but is this the best way to handle this data? Wouldn't it be better to persist this data and allow the DBA to reset values when they were ready?

BWAA-HAA!!! I really have to laugh at this one. Welcome to the nature of "Agile" programming. If enough people bitch about it, maybe they'll make it so 2 or 3 revs from now. Hmmm... ironically, that would put it out around 2020, the year of "perfect vision".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1430326
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:20 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 6:12 AM
Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with extended events?
Post #1430371
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:02 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Because these DMV's are directly tied into the Performance Dashboards that people use everyday in order to get an updated POINT IN TIME look at their SQL Server and their databases. Secondly, these DMV's just don't have enough cache available for historical performance, that's why. Even if the cache was large enough, as you stated there would probably be performance issues that would result from doing that anyway. However, you can set up a "DMV repository" by just creating specific jobs to warehouse all DMV results in a specific repository at particular intervals that could be stored in msdb or somewhere else like a DBA Utility database for example. Here is a link that will give you a good starting point for doing just that:

http://www.sqlserverpath.org/2012/03/31/better-dba-dashboards-using-dmv-monitors-14/

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1430404
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:49 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:55 AM
Microsoft will implement it eventually. Just like Oracle did few years ago. Oracle has a separate AWR repository to store this type of information. Just wait =)
Post #1430526
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:28 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Jeff Moden (3/13/2013)
That got me thinking. Why is this data removed? I'm sure some of the data is stored in memory and automatically reset, but is this the best way to handle this data? Wouldn't it be better to persist this data and allow the DBA to reset values when they were ready?

BWAA-HAA!!! I really have to laugh at this one. Welcome to the nature of "Agile" programming. If enough people bitch about it, maybe they'll make it so 2 or 3 revs from now. Hmmm... ironically, that would put it out around 2020, the year of "perfect vision".

+1

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1430571
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»