Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

What to do about a complete lack of jobs? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:23 AM
I've encountered the problem of not being able to find further employment as a SQL Server programmer/admin in my area, strangely (or perhaps not quite!). The major issue is that it seems that, in this area (Chattanooga, Tennessee, US), hardly anybody is searching for programmers in general; the ones that are tend to be looking for people with much more experience than I have (almost two years; general requirements are 5-7 years or more). On the other hand, I've found two jobs to date where my experience is sufficient, but in both cases, I've been turned down, along with all the other applicants, or so it seems; the jobs were re-posted with much higher experience requirements on the second go-round, and they're still being reposted each month.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what to do about finding further employment; my current workplace is rather toxic at all levels, and I'd much rather leave here as fast as I possibly can. I don't have quite enough money to simply leave it and search for a job afterwards (since the pay here is slightly better than minimum wage), but I'm honestly not sure how much longer I can tolerate being in this environment. Moving away from this city is one choice, but because of my medical history and current living conditions, I'd have to move out on my own, which could be a bit risky for me.

I know what I'm asking is essentially a gigantic shot in the dark, but does anyone have some advice on a situation like this? I feel like I'm fast approaching my wit's end, and my efforts don't seem to be pulling me out of this situation very efficiently

-
Post #1429924
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
The requirements on many job descriptions are more of a fishing exercise than a statement of reality. You'll probably find your two years' experience qualifies you for quite a few jobs that say they want five to seven. Don't let it put you off applying.

John
Post #1429940
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:03 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Hm, I see. That certainly would make things seem quite a bit less grim overall; to be honest, I was a bit worried that such a job would take me on board and I'd simply crash and burn, but, on second thought, they'd have butchered me in the interview before that would happen, hopefully! Alright, I'll see what I can do with that, and thank you for the suggestion!

-
Post #1429982
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:00 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
John Mitchell-245523 (3/12/2013)
The requirements on many job descriptions are more of a fishing exercise than a statement of reality. You'll probably find your two years' experience qualifies you for quite a few jobs that say they want five to seven. Don't let it put you off applying.

John

I strongly agree here. It goes along with the idea that "The answer is ALWAYS "No"... unless you ask."

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1430065
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:58 AM
SSChasing Mays

Just thought I'd update this... After tossing out some more applications to places that were a bit out of reach experience-wise, I've managed to get a contracting job with one local company . The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there. Thanks a lot for the advice; even if it was probably a bit obvious, it definitely helped!

-
Post #1433798
Posted Monday, May 20, 2013 3:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:20 AM
hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there.

Don't do that; contractors rake it in! :P

Dird

Dird // Junior DBA
11g OCA
10.5 newbie
Post #1454446
Posted Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
Dird (5/20/2013)
hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there.

Don't do that; contractors rake it in! :P

Dird

It depends. Just like FTEs, contractors only make money when they have a job to do.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1456814
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:09 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:08 AM
Agreed, both the most and least lucrative weeks of my career was when I was contracting. It's feast or famine.
Post #1487440
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:40 AM
Networking is key. Go to user groups, talk to others. That will be a better avenue, IMHO, than searching ads.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1487448
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:50 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:28 AM
hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
Just thought I'd update this... After tossing out some more applications to places that were a bit out of reach experience-wise, I've managed to get a contracting job with one local company . The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there. Thanks a lot for the advice; even if it was probably a bit obvious, it definitely helped!

Congrats I guess.
Realized you posted this 5 months ago while I was typing this reply

How's the job going?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1487504
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse