Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

DBCC CheckTable returns following results, best way to deal with this? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:20 AM
I do have one further question. If there had been corruption in the clustered index, would I have needed to do a restore?
Post #1429970
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Actually it seems like the problem is still present. The SP that first indicated there was a corrupt index worked once after the drop/create and failed again after.
Post #1429974
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:05 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:55 PM
If the problem is still there, you have IO issues. It's not a SQL problem, but your hardware people are not running low enough level diagnostics, they don't know what to do, or they have drivers/firmware that has a bug and needs patching.

Contact your IO vendor.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1429984
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Corruption in the clustered index is likely a call to Microsoft. This is the data, and so you can't rebuild.

If I had this, I'd try to BCP out the data from the table first, see if I could recover things. Likely the corruption is in certain pages, so if this doesn't work all at once, you may be able to find the ranges around the corruption and recover most data.

This is serious, and if you aren't sure of what is wrong, call Microsoft.

Post #1429990
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:21 AM
SSC Veteran

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/12/2013)
Corruption in the clustered index is likely a call to Microsoft. This is the data, and so you can't rebuild.

If I had this, I'd try to BCP out the data from the table first, see if I could recover things. Likely the corruption is in certain pages, so if this doesn't work all at once, you may be able to find the ranges around the corruption and recover most data.

This is serious, and if you aren't sure of what is wrong, call Microsoft.

I'm dealing with nonclustered indexes at the moment. Asked the question about clustered ones as a hypothetical. Dropping the two indexes without recreating (they don't get used very much) allowed the failing SP to run. Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?
Post #1429993
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I would move to different physical drives, but I'd also do diagnostics. Depending on your situation, you could have firmware/filter drivers (as Gail mentioned) causing issues.

These are strange, hard to pin down errors, but almost all the time they are related to hardware. Most of the hardware appears to work, which is what is frustrating.

Post #1430017
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:38 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
aurato (3/12/2013)
Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?

Well, ask yourself, would you leave important information on a drive that's giving repeated problems?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1430102
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:25 PM
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (3/12/2013)
aurato (3/12/2013)
Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?

Well, ask yourself, would you leave important information on a drive that's giving repeated problems?

Migrating the database that was having issues tonight, but there are many production-critical databases on the suspect drive. We currently have a ticket open with the IO vendor. I'm not sure our team is treating this with enough urgency. No mention was made yet of migrating the other critical DBs (my reference to this thread has not fully convinced anyone that hardware is the issue). I will make the recommendation to move our most critical data to another drive.
Post #1430185
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:36 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
Yeah, most people aren't convinced until something fails catastrophically. Make sure your backups are good.

Also, it isn't necessarily the physical drive. Could be the firmware, drives, switch, cache, any filter drivers in the IO stack, etc. In short, anything between SQL and the physical disk platters. In most systems these days, that's a lot of parts.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1430245
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:33 AM
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (3/13/2013)
Yeah, most people aren't convinced until something fails catastrophically. Make sure your backups are good.

Also, it isn't necessarily the physical drive. Could be the firmware, drives, switch, cache, any filter drivers in the IO stack, etc. In short, anything between SQL and the physical disk platters. In most systems these days, that's a lot of parts.

The hardware support team concluded that because the temperature was unusually high on the drive (84 C), that was probably the cause. I'm told that we've installed some kind of extra cooling on it and now it's back within typical operational temperatures.
Post #1433253
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse