Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Missing index statistics - Dementia ? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:04 AM
I use a script showing me the missing index statistics with impact and so on. I think you all know it. But sometimes I add an index which is costly, cleanup the statistics. And he shows me the index again? Why this? IS this a bug? Can somebody explain me this? Getting into details would be nice ;).

PS: I know the impact is not a good indicator, but what is the reason for this behaviour?

Greetz
SQL Pizza

sometimes you dont see the pizza for the toppings...
seek and ya shall find...
Post #1429363
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 10:37 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:24 PM
Sometimes you may continue to see that index because the query that needs it has columns using a different sort order than the index. And sometimes it is a bug.

First check the sort for the columns and see if that is impacting the index use.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1429393
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
The bug.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1429695
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse