Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Duties of a DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:29 PM
Could someone please brief me about the daily duties of a production support SQL Server DBA?
Post #1427595
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:02 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:43 PM
Make sure everything is working. If not, figure out why & fix it. And if you have time, improve things that are working, but take too long.

That's pretty much my job description.

Post #1427600
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:20 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:06 PM
difficult question. I guess... it depends?

Some manage well more than just the database.

Here, we fix anything that is down, broken or acting up. Work on performance tuning when we have time or if a need arises. Build up new systems and help address coding issues. Maintain SA functions and repair any other issues that show up short of the actual OS or server (we still have SA's for this as well). Work oncall issues 24X7. Support any version or option that is installed with SQL. Attend meetings and conference calls to help with the design of new systems. Keep customers happy. Drink coffee and eat pringles. I'm sure there's much more that's being missed.

Post #1427665
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
This is an article of mine, but it may help you a bit:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/71608/

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1427683
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:45 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:14 PM
sunny.tjk (3/6/2013)
Could someone please brief me about the daily duties of a production support SQL Server DBA?

There are dozens and dozens of articles on the subject. Please see my assistant DBA for the best help in this area. His name is "GOOGLE" and he actually has his own website.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1427688
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:48 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 5:46 AM
@ Jeff
I believe you meant this - to the OP, this link will help greatly!

Post #1427734
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:30 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:16 AM
see this http://www.johnsansom.com/the-database-administrators-primary-responsibility/

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1427809
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:51 AM
That's an extremely open-ended question. The problem is, the daily duties vary from one organization to the next. Further, they vary from one group within the organization to the next. Even further, they vary between individuals within the group within the organization. It has to do with levels of knowledge, areas of expertise, and the general needs of the company you're working for.

Best thing you can do, track down three books, SQL Rock Star by Tom LaRock, Database Administration by Craig Mullins, and How to be an Exceptional DBA by Brad McGeehee.

Read all three. The combination of them will absolutely outline what you need to know.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1427934
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:37 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:30 PM
Jeff Moden (3/6/2013)
[quote]sunny.tjk (3/6/2013)
Please see my assistant DBA...His name is "GOOGLE"

I like that, think I'm going to start using it.

In addition to the recommendations above, I'd say documentation is pretty important. Nothing like having a paper trail when cornered by angry managers/users.

@nate_hughes
Post #1427977
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse