Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Two Plugs Away Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:34 PM
I have a friend who is an architect at CitiBank. When they design buildings, they think 40-to years ahead. One big important component in their design of new office buildings is being able to retrofit office space for the future, when people talk to their computers rather than typing.

My friend said that if you have 1,000 people on a single floor of a large office building, the sound level could reach that of a jet engine and you wouldn't be able to hear yourself talking. So, cubicles in the future will be glass-bubbles with virtual video-conferencing where everyone looks like they are in the same room collaborating.
Post #1428314
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:20 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:34 PM
A few things were missed in all the hype about this move. First, the corporate culture at Yahoo is really awful. People feel very demoralized, it is hard to recruit new talent in what is perceived as a dying company, and there are a few hundred people at the company who egregiously abuse the work-from-home approach to do little for a paycheck and use their off-site time to start new businesses. Just a thought.

I think the CEO would have better served the rest by targeting the free-loaders (get rid of them) and require certain mandatory office days. If employees knew that certain days were locked-in, work-from-home, they could schedule personal time activities appropiately. Rather, the CEO used a blunt hammer approach.
Post #1428315
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse