Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

CDC and LSNs Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:23 AM
Hi peeps,
bit of a departure from my norm I am looking at using CDC from source systems to populate a data warehouse. Currently I am looking at one SQL Server 2008 Database with circa 20 tables. We may add other instances of SQL Server at a later date.

Are the Log Sequence numbers totally unique so if I want to move my changed data with LSN's between 0x00000001 and 0x00000100 then all i have to do is access all 20 Table value functions and each time I pass the same two LSN's

or are the LSN's specific to the capture instance ? I am guessing they are unique for the database where CDC is enabled?

Many thanks.
E
PS are there any pitfalls wityh this apporach to loading a data warehouse? Planning to use net changes in the settings to assist getting the data in quickly.
Post #1425463
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 3:12 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:28 AM
With no warranty : AFAIK the LSN is unique for the database, anything else would be horror :P!

Greetz
Query Shepherd
Post #1426152
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse