Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Why SQL Server? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:04 AM
I fondly remember those days when I would re-build indexes with my dad in the garage on saturday mornings...right after cartoons...

jg
Post #1425513
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 7:38 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:33 AM
I was employed as a Data Analyst in health care. The organization used a Firebird based system and I found myself starting to code SQL to obtain data for analysis. Eventually the organization decided to create a warehouse using SQL Server 2000 for it's reporting and analysis needs and due to my experience with the SQL language I was moved to work on development on the warehouse and reporting solutions, in a very small team. Since then there has been a lot to learn and still is......

So it was a happy accident for me. I have enjoyed the declarative nature of SQL, though I still enjoy 'meddling' in VB. The more I know about SQL Server technologies, the more there seems there is to know, so I am very happy with the way things have turned out. I totally agree with a previous post, there is no need to be bored.

Dave Morris

"Measure twice, saw once"
Post #1425516
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 7:59 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:02 AM
At a company I used to work for the application used a somewhat proprietary files system based "database" utilizing a DISAM setup. .dat and .idx files and either file type was prone to corruption as soon as it would hit a certain size. It was fast though. Market demand was what really caused us to make the move to supporting either an Oracle or SQL Server back end and this was in the 6.5 and 7x of Oracle days. Once we did that I was thrown in to the database world where I had to be knowledgeable about both Oracle and SQL Server because we now had to code for both. I found all of it fascinating and I worked closely with the DBA we had at the time. Eventually he left the company and I moved in to his role. I left that company and moved in to the role of a production DBA for both Oracle and SQL Server with a focus on Oracle as that company was in the process of a total redo of the application that was the heart of the business.

That company didn't make it so the next move still involved daily work with both platforms but more for SQL Server as clients chose that due to the lower cost. Eventually most Oracle activity tapered of and tended to be more dev work and since my Oracle boxes were dev platforms there wasn't a need to keep my Oracle skills sharp so the focus was really all about SQL Server since I actually had production boxes on that platform. For years I was the DBA not just for our company but for many of our clients as the folks who ran Oracle tended to have deeper pockets and could afford to have a DBA or even a team of them on staff where the SQL Server clients typically did not.

Going on 15 years or so with SQL Server and I'm glad I stuck with it. I still find it fun to work with and it helps a lot that a DBA is always in need so finding a job isn't a problem.

Cheers
Post #1425524
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 8:53 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:51 AM
I used to be a Sys Admin and fell into administering SQL Server at the same time, I'd only worked for smaller businesses at the time. Because the network wasn't very large I had time on my hands so I spent time learning VB.NET, the development language used by the company, to work on small projects that wouldn't interfere with my Sys Admin tasks. They also saw fit to send me on a few SQL courses, one of which being SQL performance tuning ran by Itzik Ben-Gan, after which I performance tuned the system.

Shortly after that I was made redundant which gave me three choices of career, stick as a Sys Admin or try my hand at being a coder or DBA. I didn't want to stay as a Sys Admin as I was bored and found the other two far more interesting. Coding and DBA work seemed to pay about the same, but there appeared to be less DBA's out there, the decicion was made. I took a chance and went for a contract DBA role covering maternity leave.

I honestly haven't looked back, the job fits and seems well matched to my personality type. My whole way of being is about efficiency (I'm not saying it's the best way to be, it's just the way I am). For instance, I know to the minute how long it takes me to get ready in the morning or when cooking, everything is prepped before starting to ensure the work area is tidy so I can cook without distraction. Enough babbling....

I'm now a Senior Database Dev and have just recruited my first member of staff for the newly formed database team. I think I made the right career choice
Post #1425560
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 9:59 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM
gmby (3/1/2013)
I fondly remember those days when I would re-build indexes with my dad in the garage on saturday mornings...right after cartoons...

jg

That's funny!

My favorite 'toons were the WB ones with Bugs, Road Runner, et al.
Post #1425607
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 10:01 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:15 AM
For me it was a progression. Started with Direct Access Method, DAM on a mainframe and got to BDAM, ISAM, DBASE, RBASE, ADABAS, AS400 OS2 and DB2, then to SQL Server and have not left. Until I got to DB2 on the 400 I was doing direct calls to the root kernel of the database doing my own buffering and control of the data. Using pointers and walking through ADABAS L1 returns was not easy and was time consuming. When I hit DB2 it was a new world, but when SQL Server opened up to to me it was like seeing the Promised Land.

I have dabbled in ORACLE some but have little interest of going there right now. Friends have gone there and most have returned to SQL Server, others have become ORACLE Masters and love it. It is what it is. And for me it is SQL Server by choice I guess.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1425609
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 10:01 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
As Jonathan Kehayias likes to calls it, i was an "Accidental DBA". I started the role years ago part-time filling a void for someone who left, and it quickly grew into a full-time gig, and the money isn't too bad either.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1425611
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 10:37 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
I actively sought out a .NET/ SQL Server career about 12 years ago. I was in the mainframe (MVS) world writing COBOL on IMS and DB2 databases. I shudder at the thought now. I got some exposure doing some BI development work on ORACLE and enjoyed SQL programming a lot more than JCL and COBOL. I went with SQL Server because I found the integrated components compelling and easy to use as well underrated if not idiosyncratic. Now I prefer data work mostly. No regrets.
Post #1425630
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 11:11 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 9:21 AM
Jeff Moden (3/1/2013)
Heh... my goodness. Why would anyone consider being "stuck" in SQL Server being "stuck"? I actually gave up the front-end world (11 years ago) to work almost exclusively in SQL Server and haven't regretted that decision for even a split second.

+10

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1425651
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 11:58 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
I have been on SQL Server since 1997. Until then I worked with PowerBuilder’s WatCom, Informix and Oracle.

I got pissed off at Oracle because I had a fixed price contract and five people on payroll, and there was a showstopper problem with Oracle and their technical support took over a week to return my call and another week to suggest a circumvention. I took a bath on that.

A few weeks later I was doing a for me-critical project for Intel and I ran into a problem with SQLS 6.5 accessed from VB5 under MTS. (MTS was Microsoft Transaction Server, then the hottest Microsoft technology.)

I reported the problem to Microsoft. They called me back in half an hour and promised a fix. They posted that fix for me on their bulletin board – no Microsoft support Web site back then – in 40 hours. Then they called me and the support tech explained that the problem was caused by VB-to-MTS interfaces that erroneously set locks for any SELECT query and because it was an error, they were not lifted and had to expire. And the tech told me that no one on the MTS team went home for two nights.

I have been on SQL Server ever since and I never again touched Oracle.

On some projects I am using Azure blobs and tables, and for large volumes (“Big Data”) I use Cosmos with its SQL-based SCOPE.
Post #1425682
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse