Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

The Microsoft Sideshow Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:29 PM
David Conn (3/8/2013)
I see Microsoft as being Evolutionary rather than Revolutionary. All that they're doing at the moment is offering a Touchscreen Windows i.e. a Decent One. Windows 8 is basically use the Touch if that's what you want or drop into Windows 7 if that's what you want.

They're not removing anything only adding to it.

What about the Start bar when you get to the desktop view?

Essentially, if you were to accidentally delete a shortcut off your desktop, there is now easy way to get it back.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1428872
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:01 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:12 PM
It's an evolutionary change, but it's a substantial one. Look beyond what Win 8 does with the desktop, because so few apps take advantage of the interface. It's changing to a one app at a time on the screen, which I'm not sure is great, though you can somehow get two split on the screen on the Surface tablets. I haven't tried that on the desktop.

However Win 8 is more revolutionary. If you look at Android, it basically copied iOS and then improved and added things. In many ways, I think Android 4.1 is far beyond iOS6 and introduces ergonomic changes that are not only smooth, but very helpful. However WP8 is a dramatic change in how things work. It's a completely new way of looking at an interface.

It's not that tablets replace desktops, but that they are a new way of doing some work. There are lots of people that can do most, if not all, of their work on a tablet. There are tons of people using tablets with keyboards, which is different than using a laptop. I'm not one of them; I prefer my laptop or my phone instead.

However the introduction of tablets and the ability to move from a tablet to a desktop and back, doing the same work, is important. Tablets work better than phones for lots of situations. I don't know that I would use one, but I also don't think it's a simple yes or no for the way the format, and the OS, works. Personally I think the OS is becoming less of a big deal, and therefore I don't understand the MS insistence of making the same OS work on both. I'd like to see OS's optimized for each format, and my apps and data slowing smoothly across either.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1429880
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse