Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

The Microsoft Sideshow Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:09 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
The other thing MS is doing is more web based apps, such as Office 365.

I'm still holding at Office 2003 because of the ribbon. Yes the 365 will be a constant revenue stream. My considerations before I would even consider it:

1. My home internet connection is an Aircard with a 5GB per month before extra charges.
2. I wouldn't want to put anymore of my personal info in the cloud than I have to.
3. At work, I wouldn't want any more of company data in the cloud.
4. Between SOX and HIPPA data, keeping that in the cloud is dangerous.

I wonder how many people consider that?

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1424594
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:33 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
paul.knibbs (2/27/2013)
I notice you carefully avoided mentioning Windows 8 as Microsoft's current core OS, Steve--I wonder why that was?

Nothing against Win 8. To me, it's really Win 7 with the tile/Metro interface on top. I've been running it for a month, no issues, no real change for me. I tend to run 10 things, and leave them running, so I never see the start screen.

However Win 7 was the start of "less bloat" and more speed, not depending on new hardware to make it run fast.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1424601
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

mark.fisher (2/27/2013)
Given the current state of the economy can you blame them for having a more business orientated focus. MS have been concentrating on core products, probably with a view to stabilisation rather than innovation.

The buy-in of Skype isn't so different to what other innovative IT companies have done recently, and is probably a good acquisition for their push towards mobile tech across mobile and desktop platforms (i.e. windows 8). Don't forget, MS has a history of absorbing innovation, that's how SQL Server started. I also suspect the vast customer base also had an impact on the acquisition, and they probably have a lot of patents stashed away somewhere.

Even better for us data professionals is the fact that SQL Server revenue was up 16%, which shows the product is popular, solid, and selling well

I wonder how much of that increase is because of the changes to licensing in 2012 and the corresponding edition restructure. It would be nice to see some figures behind this in a future post. Perhaps there was a spending spree to beat the deadline for the price increase and the license changes?

They've been this way for over a decade, through good and bad economic times. I'm not sure the economy matters. Since Bill Gates left, perhaps before, they've been business, not technology, focused, IMHO.

The Skype thing is interesting. I like their changes with WP7/8, and think Skype could help, but they're still unfocused. The lack of vision in moving from WP7 to WP8, with lots of breaking changes, shows that.

The SQL revenue may have come from people making advanced purchased of R2, or new purchases of 2012. Not sure it matters. Still people see SQL Server as valuable and they want it.

Post #1424608
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

GRE (Gethyn Ellis) (2/27/2013)
I read an interesting piece a while - It was posted on Twitter (I can't find the link). It called for Ballmer to go basically saying he has not a very good job. A few of the twitter community agreed.

I guess you as stockholder would welcome a change at the top, allowing MSFT to regain a 'focus' that has been missing since the change at the top.

One of these?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerkay/2013/01/02/microsoft-is-fast-turning-into-a-sideshow/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2012/07/03/the-terrible-management-technique-that-cost-microsoft-its-creativity/

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/07/microsoft-downfall-emails-steve-ballmer.print

Post #1424609
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:42 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:57 AM
Yes, I think it was one of the Forbes ones

Gethyn Ellis

gethynellis.com
Post #1424614
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

chrisn-585491 (2/27/2013)
As a developer, Microsoft has been really missing the mark. Abandoning technology they were marketing, putting a phone/web interface on the desktop, sending mix signals about OSS, etc...

I think it's more they keep trying things, throwing them at the wall, seeing what might stick and abandoning other items. It almost feels like they are letting every fifth developer try something, market it, and then give up when it doesn't work quickly enough.

Post #1424616
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:00 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:43 AM
Being serious about this, it's not like the first time Microsoft has flailed around trying to find the current zeitgeist in order to follow it and then dominate it--remember their disastrous Internet strategy back in 1994 or thereabouts? That time they managed to do a handbrake turn and get with the flow before they were swept away (and yes, if I mix any more metaphors this post is likely to explode), but it seems they're not as nimble or as well managed now as they were then.
Post #1424626
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

paul.knibbs (2/27/2013)
Being serious about this, it's not like the first time Microsoft has flailed around trying to find the current zeitgeist in order to follow it and then dominate it--remember their disastrous Internet strategy back in 1994 or thereabouts? That time they managed to do a handbrake turn and get with the flow before they were swept away (and yes, if I mix any more metaphors this post is likely to explode), but it seems they're not as nimble or as well managed now as they were then.

I remember that. They dismissed the Internet and then brought out "Blackbird", which I think was VS 1.0 and quickly moved in that direction.

Post #1424635
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 11:30 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:44 PM
Now if they'd just get rid of the sideshow of "R2" naming...

Please please please get rid of that sideshow.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1425658
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 9:21 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:25 PM
Are we really going to replace Desktops with Tablets ? I think of the millions of workers using Keyboards as their interface to the Business world and their ability to flick between Windows Applications. Who wants a Touchscreen Keyboard that uses your Screen Real Estate.

I see Microsoft as being Evolutionary rather than Revolutionary. All that they're doing at the moment is offering a Touchscreen Windows i.e. a Decent One. Windows 8 is basically use the Touch if that's what you want or drop into Windows 7 if that's what you want.

They're not removing anything only adding to it.

Google is the one to watch. I see Apple going backwards like last time Steve Jobs withdrew only this time he's not coming back.

David
Post #1428842
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse