Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Data flow mapping - ETL Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 25, 2013 11:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:20 PM
Hi,
I was wondering what do you guys use to map the data flow in ETL. I am looking at the field level flow of data. By this, I mean a document that can be passed on to the ETL developers which maps source table.column to destination table.column and the transformation logic between source and destination. This is also handy on the reporting side to map out the fields and logic in report.

Currently we use a mix of excel and word to map this. I was wondering whether there is a better way/tool to do this?

Thanks in advance
Post #1423884
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:54 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:01 PM
chess-288252 (2/25/2013)
Hi,
I was wondering what do you guys use to map the data flow in ETL. I am looking at the field level flow of data. By this, I mean a document that can be passed on to the ETL developers which maps source table.column to destination table.column and the transformation logic between source and destination. This is also handy on the reporting side to map out the fields and logic in report.

Currently we use a mix of excel and word to map this. I was wondering whether there is a better way/tool to do this?

On Ralph Kimball's website, there is a MS Excel spreadsheet under the tools/resources for the 'Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit' book that we use. It's probably pretty similar to what you've developed.

http://www.kimballgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ch02_MDWToolkit_Datamodel_Spreadsheet_4.0_2008R2.zip

HTH,
Rob
Post #1424772
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:44 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:20 PM
It is quite similar to what we are using now but I can certainly pick up some bits from this and put it in our template.

Looks like excel is the tool for this! I was hoping there would be some other tool custom built for this.

Thanks for the info.
Post #1424886
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse