Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Transaction Logs Full Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:10 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
Regardless of your current problem, if 'Aquapak_Live_app' database is a critical database, then you most likely should have it in FULL recovery, and take regular trans log backups so you can recover to point in time.

Post #1422725
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:05 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:12 AM
Ausman,

Just changing the recovery model to simple does not truncate the log....I think it has to wait for the next checkpoint to happen.

Also, I have noticed that if you haven't done log backup in a while and if the log is big, you have to do log backup couple of times and then shrink the log in order to free up space.

Please let u know how it went.

Thanks,
SueTons.

Regards,
SQLisAwe5oMe.
Post #1422761
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 12:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:42 PM
You guys are right so i have contacted SAGE about this and they said that the DB should have been in Bulk logged mode but someone went in there before me and changed it to Simple for whatever reason.

I will sometime today backup the DB and change it to Bulk Logged
Turn on Transaction log backups for it and let them run every half hour

Thank you so much guys :)
Post #1423207
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 1:41 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:48 AM
Bulk logged is not usually an isolation level that's used for long periods of time, because of the risks involved (can't do point in time recovery to a log interval that contains a bulk operation). Since the point of log backups is to allow point in time recovery, that's kinda counter-productive.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1423245
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse