Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Monitoring SQL database Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:38 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:52 PM
I've got a database in production, which is growing on it's own about 1 GB an hour. The database is in Simple Recovery mode, so the actual .mdf file grows, not the log. I am trying to figure out which table is growing exactly, but that's rather difficult, because there are hundreds of tables in there. Yesterday I took the database offline, moved it to a different hard drive, and then reattached it to server. Even though the database was idle, and no one was connected to it, it still continued to grow. My question is, are there any free tools that I can use to monitor that database, and see which tables change, and which statements get executed in the background, other than doing a SQL trace?
Post #1422227
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:56 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 7:46 AM
How much detail do you want to get into for your trace? If you want to just look at table sizes you could run something like this
select OBJECT_NAME(object_id), row_count, GETDATE()
from sys.dm_db_partition_stats
where index_id in (0,1)
order by OBJECT_NAME(object_id)

and run that periodically to see which tables are growing (by row count), if it's growing as quickly as you say it should be pretty obvious which tables are the culprits.

Apart from that, do you have the MDW configured and running?
Post #1422236
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:16 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think there is an MDW database. This data warehouse database was installed by the vendor who also did our Dynamics GP install. I'll keep an eye out on what the figures look like as far as row count goes.
Post #1422241
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse