Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Export multiple files to Excel using SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
Hi all

Can someone please help me with a link that has an example on how to export data to multiple Excel files.
Files will be created for different department.

I have looked at the example obtained here http://www.devtechie.com/post/2012/02/29/Export-Data-into-multiple-Excel-file-SSIS.aspx but I get an error about the DepartmentReport table already existing, tried to add a File System Task but I am still struggling.

Will appreciate any assistance.
Post #1421627
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:40 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

In case someone may need this in future.
I found a solution to my problem from this site https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/ssis/implementing-foreach-looping-logic-in-ssis-/.
A great article in there and I created a package based on it and it worked.
Just one thing though, when creating the JobTitle variable do not put the double quotes in the Value field, just leave the Value field blank.
Post #1421977
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:43 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:58 AM
Excellent piece and its helped me figure out my problem with adding the files to a folder.

My problem is that my folders arent on the C drive but they are in a specific folder.... e.g.

And when I add this to the connection string like it says in the documentation

"C:\\DataFiles\\" + @[User::JobTitle] + ".csv"

But this instead.....

\\D-fs11\example-it\PROJECTS\DATA WAREHOUSING\Extract_To_CSV+@[User::CODE_NAME_DATE_File_Name]+".csv"

I get an error message

Attempt to parse the expression failed. The toke "\" at line number 0 was not recognised. Im beginning to think that you have to add all the folders for this to the C Drive only.
Post #1422545
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:46 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:59 AM
Debbie Edwards (2/21/2013)
Excellent piece and its helped me figure out my problem with adding the files to a folder.

My problem is that my folders arent on the C drive but they are in a specific folder.... e.g.

But this instead.....

\\D-fs11\example-it\PROJECTS\DATA WAREHOUSING\Extract_To_CSV+@[User::CODE_NAME_DATE_File_Name]+".csv"

I get an error message

Attempt to parse the expression failed. The toke "\" at line number 0 was not recognised. Im beginning to think that you have to add all the folders for this to the C Drive only.

I don't think so. Could it be that single backslash characters are causing an issue? (You may need to double them up.)

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1422547
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:50 AM
SSC Rookie

But this instead.....

I get an error message

Try "\\D-fs11\\example-it\\PROJECTS\\DATA WAREHOUSING\\Extract_To_CSV\\" +@[User::CODE_NAME_DATE_File_Name]+".csv"
Post #1422550
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:51 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Ive had an better error message telling me the example same thing so at least thats something to go on!

Still I tried doubling up \\\\ and got the same error message.

Hmmmmm. Such a tiny part of it. So annoying when these things take up so much time
Post #1422553
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

Just realised I have been an idiot on this one!

I blame my smaller screen and terrible eyesight

Of course thats what was meant!

Thank you
Post #1422554
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:54 AM
SSC Rookie

Just realised I have been an idiot on this one!

I blame my smaller screen and terrible eyesight

Of course thats what was meant!

Thank you

So all sorted now?
Post #1422556
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:58 AM
SSC-Addicted

Not yet...

I have another error message about

The token [The symbol for square] at line number zero

Im imagining this is because I have spaces in the folder names that I will need to replace with another symbol. This is just a guess though.

Difficult to find documentation about this stuff
Post #1422560
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:08 AM
SSC-Addicted

Ive been a bit daft again. I already have a variable with the folder in.

Ive concatenated this and the file name together to get the whole shebang.

@[Extract_To_CSV_Folder]+@[User::DFES_NAME_DATE_File_Name]+".csv"Hopefully this will work.

Fingers crossed
Post #1422566
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse