Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL Server Agent not running Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:25 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:30 PM
The service account should not need to be a local admin, and I agree with you, I think it's a bad idea.

Here is the description of the SQLServerSQLAgentUser$MYCOMPUTERNAME$MSSQLSERVER group on my server.

Members in the group have the required access and privileges to be assigned as the log on account for the associated instance of SQL Server Agent.

That seems to point to the exact issue you're having, getting the service account the necessary permissions at the OS-level without granting Administrator.

I just ran a search on all ACLs on my machine and this is what my local group is able to access:

1. Full Control over C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\JOBS

2. These effective permissions on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log

Traverse Folder
List folder / read data
Read attributes
Read extended attributes
Create files / write data
Create folders / append data
Write Atributes
Write Extended Attributes
Delete subfolders and files
Read permissions

You could create your own group, grant it these permissions, add your non-admin service account to it an give it a go. It may not get you there since there could be registry permissions or other local policies in play but it's worth a shot. If not then you could consider opening a ticket with Microsoft....or simply uninstalling and re-installing from scratch.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1421830
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:29 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:07 AM
Thanks again. I just started trying that and found that there is no jobs folder under my sql server installation!

At this stage I'm thinking I need to reinstall.

< later >

I found the folders, they weren't installed on the C: drive but along with the data folder which was configured for another drive.

Interesting thing: the log folder has access rights granted for SQLAgent$SQLEXPRESS, but there is no such user or group defined in the active directory!
Post #1421913
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse