Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

What is the best way to access a sql server in another country using the public ip address? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:33 AM
I can access my sql server when both of my computers are connected to a same router. However, when one is connected in another router, it does not connect anymore. What should I do? Please help!
Post #1420897
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:43 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:22 AM
I think the primary thing that you can or should check is whether the server itself is reachable by a ping.

if you can ping the server successfully, the next step then would be to use telnet to connect to the port on the destination server that the sql server is listening on.

Post #1420912
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

can you teach me how to ping?
Post #1420913
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:01 PM
Forum Newbie

i have pinged it. what's the next step?
Post #1420914
Posted Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:19 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:22 AM
Telnet "servername" "portname"

where portname is the TCP port on which sql server is listening on ( you can get this information from the error log)

if Telnet does not work you will get an error, if it works you will get a blank screen.

Post #1420974
Posted Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:38 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:45 AM
Check if your MAC address is allowed. Check the firewall and remote settings.

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
www.seavus.com
Post #1420975
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 7:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:34 AM
Were you able to resolve your issue?

I find that using PortQryV2 is a bit better than telnet to diagnose issues with SQL Server. See if you can query the necessary ports on your SQL Server instance when connected to the other router

TCP 1433 is the default TCP port for a default instance. if it's a named instance you'll have to look up what it's using.
UDP 1434 is what the SQL Browser uses

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1421208
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse