Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Table Level Rescovery/Restoration Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 3:25 AM
HI All,

Can we restore/recover individual Table in Microsoft SQL Server. As far as i know it is not possible Out of the box. I dont want to use any third party due to cost issue.

Is there any work around to achieve it. Thanks.

Regards,
Inder
Post #1420560
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 8:02 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:31 PM
Hi Inder,

The short answer is no, you cannot natively restore a single table. Without a third-party tool your best bet is probably to restore the database somewhere else and copy the table you need back to your desired destination.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Bob Pusateri
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

Blog: The Outer Join
Twitter: @SQLBob
Post #1420564
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 3:25 AM
Thanks Bob.
Post #1420920
Posted Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 12:36 PM
Hi

You can import /export table from source database to destination database .
Post #1420969
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:33 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:04 AM
RedGate has a wicked awesome tool called Virtual Restore. I can't remember the limitations but they do offer a ...wait for it...

<angels singing>

--->[FREE]<---

</angels singing>

trial. If cost is an issue and the database isn't massive, give it a whirl. Then you can say "wicked awesome" too.

If the database is massive and the free VR trial doesn't touch it, I'd suggest just buying a copy. We're talking a couple hundred bucks so the bank won't get broken. Heck, your company's executives probably spent more than that on wine and cheese at their last meeting.
Post #1424054
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:03 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:45 AM
Your Name Here (2/26/2013)
RedGate has a wicked awesome tool called Virtual Restore. I can't remember the limitations but they do offer a ...wait for it...

<angels singing>

--->[FREE]<---

</angels singing>

trial. If cost is an issue and the database isn't massive, give it a whirl. Then you can say "wicked awesome" too.

If the database is massive and the free VR trial doesn't touch it, I'd suggest just buying a copy. We're talking a couple hundred bucks so the bank won't get broken. Heck, your company's executives probably spent more than that on wine and cheese at their last meeting.

Ah yes, but cheese and wine is far more important....!
Post #1433233
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:05 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:09 AM
Red-Gate VR is awesome and could be a big win here. ApexSQL also has a Recover tool that can re-constitute tables, DML actions and recoveries, etc, buy using database/log files and/or backups.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1433847
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:50 PM
Old Hand

The ability to recover tables is in my opinion one of SQL Servers weakest Points. For us that was so critical for a particular application that we opted for Oracle instead! Perhaps something that Microsoft should think about as an improvement to the product?
Post #1433977
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:18 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:04 AM
I may be wrong but I think [not] putting this functionality in the product encourages third party vendors to "partner" with MS to provide add-on products, spreading the wealth...

I just want to get my arms around this "we chose Oracle over SQL Server because we could recover a single table in Oracle" thing. The only way I know of to recover a single table from an Oracle backup is to restore the whole backup somewhere and then extract the data and structure from the table.

Let me guess: you do an export of the entire Oracle database to be able to restore a single table.
Post #1433997
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:26 PM
Old Hand

Ahhh.....the Beauty of Oracle!

Restoring a table can of course be done by extracting the table from a dump but easier is to ENABLE_ROW_MOVEMENT on the table in question.

You can then FLASHBACK TABLE until time or SCN (if you need it). If someone performs a DROP TABLE it is possible to recover it from the $RECYCLEBIN as long as the clever Person doesn't DROP with PURGE!

It obviously wasn't the only reason we chose it but it was certainly a key factor.
Post #1434000
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse