Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Post to a web service from SSIS? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:54 AM
I'm still fairly new to SSIS and, though I have no trouble receiving records from a web service, I have been unable to discover how to write records to (i.e., post to) a web service from within SSIS other than, perhaps, scripting. Could someone point me to an article or other resource on how to post to a web service from SSIS? Thanks!
Post #1420080
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:53 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
Have you looked into the Web Service Task? If so and you found it lacking can you describe more about what you are trying to do?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1420346
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

I'm using the Web Service Task with no trouble to read, and my first assumption since I could see posting methods as an option was that I would be able to write records to the web service using it, but I only see how to read with it. Are there instructions some where?
Post #1420351
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 5:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

It sounds like you are looking for a "Web Service Destination" Component inside the Data Flow Task but you will not find one there. How you might deal with it, without using a Script Component in your Data Flow setup as a Destination which might be the simplest way to go about this I think, is in your Data Flow Task capture the rows you want to send into the web service into a Variable of type Object, i.e. an ADO.NET DataTable. Then, back on the Control Flow use a ForEach Loop Container to iterate over the Variable that now contains a DataTable and call your web service using a Web Service Task inside the loop container.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1420481
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 7:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Interesting approach. Thanks for the reply. And you're right -- something like a Web Service Destination was what I was looking for. With your approach, how exactly would I pass the current variable record to the Web Service Task? Using the "Input" tab?
Post #1420513
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 8:43 AM

SSCertifiable

Carl Waitz (2/15/2013)
Interesting approach. Thanks for the reply. And you're right -- something like a Web Service Destination was what I was looking for. With your approach, how exactly would I pass the current variable record to the Web Service Task? Using the "Input" tab?

When you setup the inputs check the Use Variable box and set it to a valid variable name. In the ForEach Loop Container map the columns from your DataTable into those same variables.

Post #1420597
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:18 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:22 AM
The suggestion that you have mentioned sounds very good. I am actually trying to do something like that. I need to post data to a web services.

Can you send me an example or a link to where i can find the exact way to do it. Would really appreciate your help.
Post #1508285
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 1:21 AM

SSCertifiable

I do not have a ready example to send. You can find many examples online of how to call a web service from within C#, and many examples of how to implement a Script Task in SSIS. Between the two you can figure how to call a web service from an SSIS C# Script Task.

If you have more detailed questions when trying to implement, please post back.

Post #1508347
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 7:55 AM
Forum Newbie

My original query is from when I was first acclimating to SSIS with a Web Service which was still under development. I quickly found everything I needed at the time within SSIS web service and XML tasks, though we eventually did have to use a couple of script tasks for new issues that came up. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.
Post #1508467
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:37 PM

SSCertifiable

Carl Waitz (10/25/2013)
My original query is from when I was first acclimating to SSIS with a Web Service which was still under development. I quickly found everything I needed at the time within SSIS web service and XML tasks, though we eventually did have to use a couple of script tasks for new issues that came up. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

If that was directed to me, you're welcome. Either way, thanks for relaying that you experienced success leveraging SSIS to interact with a Web Service. It's nice to know that after all the research and proofs of concept are done which solutions make the cut and get to go out into the wild.

Post #1510013
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse