Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Bring Solutions Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:19 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:21 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bring Solutions

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1419803
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:26 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:52 AM
In the graphic that illustrates this artlcle, you can save yourself the bother of working out the exact value of 2008 squared and then converting to mod 7, because the answer is the same as finding 2008 mod 7 ( which is 6) and then squaring it (36) and reducing to mod 7 again (1) ... does this count as "bringing a solution " ?
Post #1419889
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 1:36 PM
@archie No it counts as being a smartarse (actually I hadn't thought of your answer so it was mildly interesting).

On the editorial, indeed, if you are someone who offers a smorgasbord of potential solutions and a decent reason for choosing one, it gives your boss one thing less to consider, and makes you if not indispensable at least a useful asset. It's definitely a good way to proceed.

Post #1419901
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:22 AM

In my limited experience, anyone who spends their time looking for problems, I.e. engineers and I.T. Support personnel, are often accused of being negative by those in marketing and h.r. management areas.
Post #1419925
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:14 AM
Some years ago I was introduced to Robert Fritz (robertfritz.com). Hughly recommend him.
One perspective he gives is this:
Viewing ourselves as problem solvers is too small an aim. One aspect (minor) of this is that once we have solved all problems what then.
Let's consider instead what do we want to create.
That is is - but it is a major change of focus!
Post #1419972
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 AM
I find that it totally depends upon the culture. Some really value the proactive approach but others ask why have you spent time that they would have valued more elsewhere. I find the worst cultures are the ones that claim to be the former but are the latter. These are often the politically charged sweatshops which hire creative talent just to chain them up and then wonder why productivity goes out of the window. Ho hum.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1420012
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:40 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:15 AM
Interesting timing for this editorial. In two weeks, I'm switching jobs for the first time in nearly a decade. Along with the switch, my title is going from Database Administrator to Solutions Architect. When I looked back at my career to date (> 15 years), I realized "architecting" solutions is what I've been largely doing all along, the new title just makes it a bit more official.

Blog |
Twitter | LinkedIn

Post #1420025
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:24 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:17 PM
Competition for jobs gets more intense all the time and the employees that look for problems and provide solutions without being asked will be the most valuable. They will stand out from their peers and are more likely to not only keep their jobs during down times, but will get asked to solve the interesting and challenging problems.

That is so true. Wherever one is, one should always strive to be the solution and not the problem. Follow that rule, and one will never be hungry from lack of employment.
I've met a lot of people who I considered to be smart and even talented, however, they were also totally useless on a good day and a disaster waiting to happen on a bad one. I'm talking here about drama queens, passive aggresive types who sabotage the efforts of other team members, blind risk takers, etc. Those guys should be weeded out of a team when spotted.
Post #1420053
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:04 AM
Quite right, I deliver technology to solve business problems.
Post #1420058
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:14 AM
Please do reflect on this:

Let's be creators
not prbolem solvers.

This means not even considering that we are solution providers - because having a solution implies a problem has to be solved.

Rather what do we wnat to create.

Within a family stting what sort of family culture do we watn to create.

In an organisation, what are we creating?
Compare that to what are we trying to solve!
Solving something is a smaller viewpoint.

If an organisation is actually doing soemthing useful, that that is what we are a part of. We are part of the creation of that something. The myriad issues that need to be resolved are because of the requirement to create something that would otherwise not exist.

Let's see ourselves as part of a grander, more purposeful existence that just solving hundereds of problems. The problems are needing to be resolved because someone had an idea to bring into existence, to create a useful thing.

Post #1420068
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse