Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Creating Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:44 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:16 AM
Statistics so far:

---Number of attempted answers: 880

---Number of correct answers: 587 (67%)

---Number of incorrect answers: 293 (33%)

---Number of discussion posts: 39

---Number of positive and/or educational posts: 28 (72%)

---Number of negative and/or whining posts: 11 (28%)

Isn't it interesting there is a correlation within 5% of correct answers to positive posts and incorrect answers to whining posts.

Enjoy!
Post #1419012
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:22 PM
Dave62 (2/12/2013)
Isn't it interesting there is a correlation within 5% of correct answers to positive posts and incorrect answers to whining posts.

No, I don't find that interesting at all.
I also don't see the point of having a single bucket for "positive and/or educational".

In my opinion, positive posts ("great question!"), negative posts ("you suck!") and whining posts ("give me my point") are all an utter waste of bandwith, and I suspect most of the people who regularly write posts like that of doing it for the sole purpose of accumulating points. I hate it when I get mails from twnety different QotD discussions I am subscribed to, all within thrigy minutes, all because of a post from the same poster, and all contributing nothing but "good question", "got it right", "missed it", or whatever.

Posts that are useful are what you probably label "educational". Those include obviously posts that give (extra) information, but also posts that ask for more information, for an explanation, or for a clarification - those posts in themselves don't educate, but they (hopefully) trigger a response that WILL add information to the topic.
Then again - a post that adds information that has already been added a dozen times in the same topic would, in my opinion, again qualify as waste of bandwidth.

(I also can't help wondering how you would qualify your own post. Or my response to it in this post. My qualification would be "waste of bandwidth", for I don't really see how discussing statistics of posts adds value that is relevant for the average SQL Server Central visitor.)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1419055
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:11 AM

SSCrazy

Hugo Kornelis (2/12/2013)
No, I don't find that interesting at all. ...

Well of course we are all entitled to our own opinion of what is interesting.

(I also can't help wondering how you would qualify your own post. Or my response to it in this post. My qualification would be "waste of bandwidth", for I don't really see how discussing statistics of posts adds value that is relevant for the average SQL Server Central visitor.)

Again, we are all entitled to our own opinion of what may be relevant to people who use SQL Server. I would think some DBA's may find a discussion of statistical analysis interesting and/or relevant and of course some will not.

I guess you are free to make posts that you qualify as a "waste of bandwidth" but I must say that a large majority of your posts I find educational. Thank you for your contributions.

Enjoy!
Post #1419074
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:20 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:53 AM
I often work with product owners who write requirements with very similar logic and wording.

Thanks for the question!
Post #1419085
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:17 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 7:29 PM

I also don't see the point of having a single bucket for "positive and/or educational".

One common purpose of combining two things into a single bucket is to create an impression that these two things are closely associated. It's an extremely common practise amongst PR people. But Dave is presumably a DBA not a PR hack so I don't imagine his purpose of doing it was that. Probably it was just a rather silly (because it might cause people to think that he was trying to create associations between disagreeing with him and whining and between agreeing with him and being educational) means of reducing the number of buckets. Anyway, his arithmetic is wrong, since the educational posts are mostly negative and should be in both buckets so that the percentages should sum to more than 100%, but he has them sum to 100%. When wearing my mathematician hat I used to hate it when people got careless like that with numerical data, but these days I no longer worry about it, just point it out when it seems appropriate to do so.

Tom
Post #1419129
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:22 PM
Dave62 (2/12/2013)
I must say that a large majority of your posts I find educational.

Thanks! That is what I normally try to achieve here.

As to that previous post ... with hindsight, I now think I should have hit the browsers close button instead of the post button after writing it out and getting it off my chest. But that insight has come too late.
My apologies to anyone who might feel offended.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1419136
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:30 AM
In my opinion, positive posts ("great question!"), negative posts ("you suck!") and whining posts ("give me my point") are all an utter waste of bandwith, and I suspect most of the people who regularly write posts like that of doing it for the sole purpose of accumulating points.

For the sole purpose of accumulating a point I have to agree with you.
Just kidding Hugo. We greatly appreciate your contribution to these discusssions.
Post #1419206
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:30 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 6:12 AM
What Hugo said.
Post #1419473
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:44 AM

SSCrazy

L' Eomot Inversé (2/12/2013)
... When wearing my mathematician hat I used to hate it when people got careless like that with numerical data, but these days I no longer worry about it, just point it out when it seems appropriate to do so.

Tom, you have a lot of interesting theories about my intent for the last 2 buckets but the simple explanation is that it was to try and make a correlation with the 1st 2 buckets. The 1st 2 buckets are about as straight forward as you can get - Correct and Incorrect. It didn't take much of a mathematician's hat to see at the time of my post they were at 67% and 33%. The last 2 buckets may have been loosely labeled but it's easy to count that there have been more positive than negative posts. Correlation confirmed.

By the way I also appreciate your extensive knowledge and contributions here. I find some of your posts educational, some entertaining, and some are both.

Enjoy!
Post #1419478
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:07 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:26 AM
Hugo Kornelis (2/11/2013)

. . . . The option "Only the 1st and 3rd statement will succeed but no rows will be returned", though technically not 100% accurate (as the 4th statement will also succeed), comes close enough to be considered te correct answer.

I threw my dart to pick one of the two options, and failed. Oh well.

I know I'm late to this party, but have to ask. What 4th statement? I see a Create Table, a Select Into and then a Select. Was the original code edited between publication and today?
Post #1419777
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse