Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Rethinking Your Design Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 12:34 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:51 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rethinking Your Design

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1418042
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:55 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:25 PM
Steve, it sounds like a good time for an in-depth treatment of SQL Server's in-memory capabilities ;^)
Post #1418068
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:29 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 4:58 PM
Caching is also the type of solution I've found many developers enjoy implementing

That may be true, but it's also one they also fail to get right 90% of the time. Done incorrectly, it leaves apps with strange intermittent bugs, consistency errors, confusing "wait - didn't I just change that?" moments for the users (especially on a web farm) and performance bottlenecks when restarting a server.
It may be fun, but it's hard to do well.
Post #1418147
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 8:17 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:46 AM
It is important to remember that Windows Server and SQL Server provide good caching behavior right out of the box. When designing caching functionality, take care not to interfere with or duplicate what is already occurring.
Post #1418466
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
GeorgeCopeland (2/11/2013)
It is important to remember that Windows Server and SQL Server provide good caching behavior right out of the box. When designing caching functionality, take care not to interfere with or duplicate what is already occurring.

Good point George. if one does not know exactly what they are doing in this area they can easily make things worse.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1418548
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:51 AM
LoztInSpace (2/10/2013)
Caching is also the type of solution I've found many developers enjoy implementing

That may be true, but it's also one they also fail to get right 90% of the time. Done incorrectly, it leaves apps with strange intermittent bugs, consistency errors, confusing "wait - didn't I just change that?" moments for the users (especially on a web farm) and performance bottlenecks when restarting a server.
It may be fun, but it's hard to do well.

Very true, and I'd like to see more reference applications and information on how to do this well.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1418552
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse