Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Creating Variables in Reporting Services Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:06 PM
Is there a way to create variables in the 2005 version? There are two tabs on the Layout screen called Datasets and Variables but everything is grayed out on the Variables one. I have to do a variance calculation for just a portion of report differently than the rest of the report and if I could set my denominator to a variable I would be home free but I can't figure out how to do it. Is there a way?

Post #1415905
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:57 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:43 AM
When your in a report project on the menu bar under 'Report' there is the 'Report Parameters' you can create them there!

Then do the calculation in the data set and set the parameter to the result.

Regards
ld

Stoke-on-Trent
United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.
Post #1416003
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:24 PM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:06 PM
That won't work because the main dataset that the report is based on is from the results of a stored procedure and I just need one value from that result set (one column of a specific row) to do % calculations for one section of the report. Maybe it would work and I'm just not thinking of something. Any suggestions or guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Post #1416129
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:15 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 6:56 AM
Perhaps do the calculations before the data gets to the report (in the stored procedure).

Hope that this helps...thanks.

- Chris
Post #1417103
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 7:23 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:05 AM
in the data set you could also add a calculated field (Right click on the dataset). I'd go with what CGSJohnson said. Your performance will be better if you can have the calculation returned from the server.
Post #1417698
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse