Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Issue with crypt_gen_random Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:22 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:25 AM
Got it. Thanks for the clarification, Nadrek.

It would, however, be interesting to see how someone might reverse engineer things to be able to pick the next random number without it being "cryto secure". There are a whole lot of apparent sequences that can be had out of a NEWID().

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1421717
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:40 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:46 AM
No problem, Jeff.

Note that it's not as much about guessing the next value as it is about some output patterns being more likely than others. Perhaps every third bit has a 65% +-2% chance of being a 1, instead of a 50% chance. Perhaps exactly three 0's in a row never happens. Perhaps the pseudo-random number cycle repeats every 64K. Perhaps there's only a 20% chance of a 1 if the value 32 bits prior was a 1.

If you want to see some of this, try running of your NEWID() generators, set it for binary-type output, and run a couple gigabytes of data or so into something like the Dieharder test suite, and see what the results are - I'll lay very good odds there are noticeable patterns in the output.

References:
NIST SP 800-22 A Statistical Test Suite for Random and Pseudorandom Number Generators for Cryptographic Applications

DRAFT NIST SP 800-90C A Statistical Test Suite for Random and Pseudorandom Number Generators for Cryptographic Applications
Post #1421725
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:13 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:09 AM
Well the point is, that my application is under frequend audits by our client and the random number generator is an important part of it (i am creating lottery games) and therefore it should be as strong as possible. We aren't using any hardware random number generators, so something from inside the 'system' should be used.

From this point of view - I can defend my random number generator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptGenRandom, http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/11/computers-are-lousy-random-number-generators.html), but not the newid() function.
Post #1422017
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:26 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:59 AM
_simon_ (2/20/2013)
Well the point is, that my application is under frequend audits by our client and the random number generator is an important part of it (i am creating lottery games) and therefore it should be as strong as possible. We aren't using any hardware random number generators, so something from inside the 'system' should be used.

From this point of view - I can defend my random number generator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptGenRandom, http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/11/computers-are-lousy-random-number-generators.html), but not the newid() function.

Seems like an entirely sound use of a CLR function to me.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1422023
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse