Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Help Re Indexing Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:11 PM
Hi, I have a 28 GB SQL 2000 Database that is in need of a re index. I am currently running DBCC DBREINDEX on all tables within My_DB and was wondering if there was a way to tell when the process would complete.

Also, should I run DBCC INDEXDEFRAG after DBCC DBREINDEX completes?
Post #1414475
Posted Friday, February 01, 2013 1:45 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:52 AM
Vertigo44 (2/1/2013)

Not unless you like doing your index maintenance twice.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1414497
Posted Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:25 AM
Vertigo44 (2/1/2013)
Hi, I have a 28 GB SQL 2000 Database that is in need of a re index. I am currently running DBCC DBREINDEX on all tables within My_DB and was wondering if there was a way to tell when the process would complete.

No real way to tell when it will complete. Even estimates based on previous rebuilds can be way off.

To clarify what Gail said, DBCC DBREINDEX will do everything including defragging and rebuilding statistics so there's no need to do a DBCC INDEXDEFRAG after DBCC DBREINDEX.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1414942
Posted Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:11 PM
Thank you! I was able to Reindex all the user tables that were above 30% fragmentation successfully within the maintenance window. This server is in high demand since it runs our Emergency Room application 24/7. It is very difficult for us to get a downtime window with the Physicians. That being said I have noticed a few issues...

Even after rebuilding all the indexes, each time the nightly online index reorg job kicks on, the users experience issues with the application. It's not a rebuild but a reorg. Also, the mdf files and the ldf files are located on the same drive. This drive is highly fragmented. I tried to defrag it once I finished the index rebuild but ran out of time as the users needed it. Im still trying to figure out if that could be what is causing their issues with the online reorg job kicking in.

Quick facts: SQL Server 2000, Windows Server 2003 32bit with 3.5 GB Ram. I have set SQL Server Memory Min = 1024 and Max 2.5 GB. Any ideas?
Post #1415790
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:11 PM

SSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:20 PM
What RAID type are you using? Maybe a hardware based 0+1 is needed. This is recommended for mission critical 24/7 systems.
Post #1446166
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse