Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Windows Batch, VBScript and PowerShell Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:46 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:27 PM
I have written tons of Windows Batch scripts and compiled VB6, however not as much VBScript. That said, I seen have entire books about managing Windows with VBScript and I know there are many people out there that use it a lot. PowerShell being the newest kid on the block I am not aware of anything VBScript offers that PowerShell does not. Maybe manipulating Windows GUI components?

If I were learning a new scripting language for Windows from the ground up in hopes of having it become my one-stop-shop for all my scripting needs is there a specific reason or use-case where you might recommend VBScript or Windows Batch over PowerShell?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1414179
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:34 AM
Given Microsoft's attitude (so considering support, going forward etc) and the features of PowerShell the answer is an emphatic "NO" from me.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1414200
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:34 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, September 8, 2014 6:46 AM
I personally have yet to find anything that PS can't do that VBScript/Batch can.
Post #1414254
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse