Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Business datasets (overview, structure, naming conventions, business rules) Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:54 AM
Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.
I need to gather information about different datasets used in different business areas: banking, insurances, online betting, sales, CRM ETC.
So in summary: Is there anything that I could read to understand how other businesses (I’m currently in healthcare) do their business intelligence and analytics. How does the business works? How do their facts and dimensions look like? What kind of business rules do they apply?

Do you know anything that I could read: books, articles, papers?
It would be nice to get top level information first so I would prefer few hundred pages rather than few thousands for starters.
Thanks for your help in advance

Mike
Post #1412313
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 9:06 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
michal.giczewski (1/28/2013)
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.
I need to gather information about different datasets used in different business areas: banking, insurances, online betting, sales, CRM ETC.
So in summary: Is there anything that I could read to understand how other businesses (I’m currently in healthcare) do their business intelligence and analytics. How does the business works? How do their facts and dimensions look like? What kind of business rules do they apply?

Oracle Business Intelligence Suite provides out of the box templates for different industries, a starting point would be http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E10415_01/doc/index.htm

Having said that, in my opinion it takes a lot of time - depending on previous experience and operational knowledge of a particular industry, to understand how it works.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1417763
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse