Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Secondary indexes in SQL Server. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:08 AM
Hi all,
What are secondary indexes in SQL Server and why are they needed.
Post #1408236
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:40 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:41 AM
No such thing as a secondary index. Do you mean a secondary XML index?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1408245
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 4:23 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:44 AM
I can only imagine a writer using the term "secondary indexes" to refer to any indexes other than one on a Primary Key? In that case, such indexes are used to aid or make more efficient the retrieval of data.
Post #1409471
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 5:10 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:41 AM
OTF (1/21/2013)
I can only imagine a writer using the term "secondary indexes" to refer to any indexes other than one on a Primary Key?

That would be an incorrect term for them. The only 'secondary' indexes in SQL are secondary XML indexes. Indexes other than the primary key are just clustered/nonclustered indexes.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1409496
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 5:42 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:44 AM

That would be an incorrect term for them.

Nevertheless, it's a term I've seen used by some authors to explain the concepts of Indexes.
I guess only the OP knows whether the term was used as it relates to XML Indexes or Indexes in general.
Post #1409513
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 7:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:21 AM
OTF (1/21/2013)

That would be an incorrect term for them.

Nevertheless, it's a term I've seen used by some authors to explain the concepts of Indexes.
I guess only the OP knows whether the term was used as it relates to XML Indexes or Indexes in general.

It's common and correct for Oracle users to speak that way about indexes, maybe other DBMS' too, but not for SQL Server users. I would hope that an author writing about SQL Server whose work passed through a technical editor did not publish anything discussing "secondary indexes."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1409541
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:37 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
Hello,

There's good information on indexes on the MSDN website. Should give you the required background information:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189271(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Andrew
Post #1413004
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse