Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

datatype larger than 255? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:57 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:33 PM
I have to import some data that has text fields that can run from 300-400 characters... is there a datatype I can change my textfield to that will allow for that?
Post #1407844
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:07 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Normal varchar can go up to 8000 characters if you define it that way. Varchar(max) can go up to 2 Gig (approximately 2 billion characters).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1407855
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:49 AM
varchar(400), nvarchar(400) depending on if it is unicode or non-unicode data.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1407856
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:12 AM
You can use varchar(XXXX) or char(XXXX). Instead of XXXX you can specify a number up to 8000. The number represents the number of characters that you'll have. You can also use varchar(max) or char(max) to work with much bigger strings. I suggest that you'll read a bit about SQL Server data types - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187752.aspx

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
Post #1407861
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

The reason I was asking was I was loading about 20,000 records and kept getting an error popup "String or binary data would be truncated".... looked through the data and found no fields actually that exceeded the 255. So still searching....
Post #1407874
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:36 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Are you using the Import Wizard in Management Studio? Or an SSIS package? Or something else?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1407878
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:59 PM
When you looked through the data, do you mean in SSMS? Or did you query something like LEN()?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1407885
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Actually I'm using SQL Server Express so I'm pasting them from copying the data from a .csv file. Is there another way with SQL Server Express?
Post #1407886
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:55 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:59 PM
briancampbellmcad (1/16/2013)
Actually I'm using SQL Server Express so I'm pasting them from copying the data from a .csv file. Is there another way with SQL Server Express?

Yes as Steve suggested use the LEN function.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1407895
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

After I pasted the errors began. I looked back at my data in my .csv and found no reason that all the records should not commit. Not sure how to use the LEN function in this case although I'm familiar with it "SELECT LEN(Address) as LengthOfAddress FROM Persons". I'd would be looking at the data that commited rather than the one's that failed (?). I also have access only to SSMS in SQL Server Express so my options are limited.
Post #1407907
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse