Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Naming new SQL Server instance Expand / Collapse
Author

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:08 AM
They say it's best practice to name a SQL instance even it's the only instance on the host server. My question is, are there any security risks if I give the SQL instance the same name as the server? Or should I just leave it as the default instance?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1406708
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 12:36 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38 PM
Abu Dina (1/14/2013)
They say it's best practice to name a SQL instance even it's the only instance on the host server.

I have not heard that one. Can you share a reference to the claim that it is a best practice?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1406911
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 1:03 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:37 PM
I guess I am confused by that...

All instances installed have to have a name - whether it is the default instance or a named instance. The default instance has a name - which is MSSQLSERVER. All named instances are just that - named....

Referencing a default instance can be done using either the server name or the IP address, whereas referencing a named instance must be done using the server name\instance name or IP:port.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #1406917
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse