Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Employer asking for Social Media login? Expand / Collapse
Author

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:26 PM
I really don't respect this.
I would never ever share any of my social media account access.
"Employers in Illinois and California are now barred from asking for usernames and passwords for social media pages of workers and job seekers" as stated in your referral link, I strongly agree with it.

Social Media Management
Post #1415581
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:00 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:05 PM
Indianrock (1/18/2013)
Maybe the larger question is why an employer would have the gall to request this.

As a screening question? If you have someone wanting to work with SQL Server, and says yes to the question, then it's an instant rejection as a security risk/to much cluebatting required. OTOH, the really good candidates would probably terminate the interview at that point.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1415748
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:07 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:16 AM
Fortunately, I live in a country where such a request would constitue an offence for which a potential employer could be prosecuted.

Moreover I never had, have not and will never have a Facebook account.
Post #1417215
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:46 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 8:51 AM
[quote]Nadrek (1/18/2013)
That's a very disturbing question. I'd be torn between two responses:

I honor the contractual agreement with the social media sites I use not to divulge those credentials, just as I will honor the contractual agreement we make should you hire me. I don't give you my login credentials to their site anymore than I give them my login credentials to your network.

This is the best response. The requestor will have to admit that you are being asked to do something illegal if they push any further.
Post #1417245
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:17 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:41 AM
lptech (2/7/2013)
[quote]Nadrek (1/18/2013)
That's a very disturbing question. I'd be torn between two responses:

I honor the contractual agreement with the social media sites I use not to divulge those credentials, just as I will honor the contractual agreement we make should you hire me. I don't give you my login credentials to their site anymore than I give them my login credentials to your network.

This is the best response. The requestor will have to admit that you are being asked to do something illegal if they push any further.

Thank you; I'd be sure to make the point that exactly the same contract law that governs the agreement between you and [Social Network] also governs the employment contract between you and [Potential Employer]. If you break the one when someone simply asks, isn't that an indication that you might also break the other if someone asks?

As a slightly more detailed reference to what Cadavre had already posted, here's the Facebook EULA section 4 subsections 1, 8, and 9, which very specifically and explicitly prohibit allowing anyone else to access your account:
4 Registration and Account Security
1 You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
8 You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

9 You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.

The LinkedIn EULA has a similar section, also numbered 4:
4 Sign-In Credentials.

You agree to: (1) Keep your password secure and confidential; (2) not permit others to use your account; (3) refrain from using other Users’ accounts; (4) refrain from selling, trading, or otherwise transferring your LinkedIn account to another party; and (5) refrain from charging anyone for access to any portion of LinkedIn, or any information therein. Further, you are responsible for anything that happens through your account until you close down your account or prove that your account security was compromised due to no fault of your own. To close your account, please visit LinkedIn’s customer service site.

And on a purely security basis, I wouldn't type my password in on a machine they control, either.
Post #1417331
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 9:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 8:03 AM
Interviewers (at least in the US) are NOT allowed to ask you for your:
* marital status
* religion
- all of which are available in your facebook profile (provided you filled in that information).
So for that reason alone, it makes it illegal for them to access your Facebook profile.

Besides, giving out your passwords is not exactly a bright idea, especially since I know that many people are extremely lazy about inventing new passwords and tend to use the same password for several websites, which means you've just opened up a bunch of other places where that person could potentially log on as you. Do you really want this interviewer to take your identity? In theory he could log on as you and post some inappropriate things which would then tarnish your reputation.
Post #1417779
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse