Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Employer asking for Social Media login? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:46 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:11 PM
I've never experienced this but found it bizarre. If I was ever asked to provide access to my social media accounts I would treat it the same as a request for my banking information: 1) No ! and 2) You'll be hearing from my attorney.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/internet-privacy/new-laws-keep-employers-out-of-worker-social-media-accounts-210150

Post #1406424
Posted Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:57 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 PM
I would never give any of my social media accounts to somebody else.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1406428
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 5:06 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
No.

Everything I do publicly, my employer actually has some interest in. That's especially true for me, being a public rep for a company. But what I do privately, whether in meat space or online, is none of their business. Period. So, I would provide them with my public persona in social media, but no, no passwords or private connections.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1406661
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 6:24 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

I can respect that, especially if the salary is commensurate with the responsibilities.

Post #1406685
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 7:43 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:51 PM
If an employer (or potential employer) wants to know about my private life that badly, hire a PI. At least then, digging into my private life is going to:
A) Cost them money
B) Not get them everything unless the PI follows me around for a year or two

The closest equivalent I can think of for something like this would be me asking a potential employer for the password to their Sharepoint / Wiki / company electronic bulletin board system / internal forums. After all, if they want to poke through my personal information before deciding to hire me ("We really like you, but those drunken photos from your spring break at that Hedonism II resort just don't fit with our corporate image. We know those were taken 15 years ago on your first spring break, but...") then I should be able to look through their "personal" information ("Well, I was really looking forward to working here, until I saw the posts on your forum from the staff of the department complaining about the constant direction changes, projects being cancelled one day then started back up two days later, and regular 16 hour marathon work days.")

I take keeping my work and private lives quite seriously, I do not "friend" anyone from work on Facebook, and I do not post anything on LinkedIn that I wouldn't want co-workers to see (considering I don't think I've ever posted anything to LinkedIn...)

As it is, I really only use Facebook to keep up on what the rest of my family is doing, and while I've got some photos up on Facebook, they're of things like family get-togethers for X-Mas.
Post #1406733
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:10 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:06 AM
Facebook terms of service states: -

Safety

We do our best to keep Facebook safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to keep Facebook safe, which includes the following commitments by you:

<snip>

You will not collect users' content or information, or otherwise access Facebook, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our prior permission.

<snip>

You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.

<snip>

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

<snip>

You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

Which pretty much knocks this all on the head, even if it wasn't creepy as hell.

Not a DBA, just trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

LinkedIn | Blog coming soon (for sufficiently large values of "soon" )!
Post #1407761
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:22 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:16 AM
jasona.work (1/14/2013)
If an employer (or potential employer) wants to know about my private life that badly, hire a PI. At least then, digging into my private life is going to:
A) Cost them money
B) Not get them everything unless the PI follows me around for a year or two

The closest equivalent I can think of for something like this would be me asking a potential employer for the password to their Sharepoint / Wiki / company electronic bulletin board system / internal forums. After all, if they want to poke through my personal information before deciding to hire me ("We really like you, but those drunken photos from your spring break at that Hedonism II resort just don't fit with our corporate image. We know those were taken 15 years ago on your first spring break, but...") then I should be able to look through their "personal" information ("Well, I was really looking forward to working here, until I saw the posts on your forum from the staff of the department complaining about the constant direction changes, projects being cancelled one day then started back up two days later, and regular 16 hour marathon work days.")

I take keeping my work and private lives quite seriously, I do not "friend" anyone from work on Facebook, and I do not post anything on LinkedIn that I wouldn't want co-workers to see (considering I don't think I've ever posted anything to LinkedIn...)

As it is, I really only use Facebook to keep up on what the rest of my family is doing, and while I've got some photos up on Facebook, they're of things like family get-togethers for X-Mas.

+1

Employers here in the UK (as I guess elsewhere) do try to find out what they can on Facebook etc about their potential employees, but only by using their own accounts set up for this purpose. I would give an employer (real or potential) this information as much as I would give them my on line banking details!

-------------------------------
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Smart way to ask a question

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Post #1408205
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 6:05 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:22 AM
I guess I'm lucky because I have nothing to provide! I haven't had any interest in Facebook, Twitter or other social media sites; although SSC is somewhat social.

I suppose if I was in FB, my profile would be set to private, and private means private, so I wouldn't provide a potential employer that information.

Post #1408857
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 11:06 AM
SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:46 AM
That's a very disturbing question. I'd be torn between two responses:

I honor the contractual agreement with the social media sites I use not to divulge those credentials, just as I will honor the contractual agreement we make should you hire me. I don't give you my login credentials to their site anymore than I give them my login credentials to your network.

and

Good question! No, in the interest of security, I never give my personal login credentials to anyone else, whether they're for a government account, a corporate account for this or any other company, or a personal account.
Post #1409025
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 11:17 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Maybe the larger question is why an employer would have the gall to request this.

Post #1409031
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse