Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

blocking LCK_M_SCH_S, LCK_M_SCH_M Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:55 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 6:54 AM
opc.three (1/10/2013)

"Mostly Online" feels like ~60%. I'd submit "Near Online", it feels closer to 99%

until today, all my "online" index rebuilds worked as expected. but just today I got a series of transactions running and SQL is not able to get the LCK_M_SCH_M and end the rebuild.

so, for me, today it feels as "not exactly online index rebuild". I would put it at 10%.
Post #1540958
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:06 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:12 AM
mauriciorpp (2/12/2014)
opc.three (1/10/2013)

"Mostly Online" feels like ~60%. I'd submit "Near Online", it feels closer to 99%

until today, all my "online" index rebuilds worked as expected. but just today I got a series of transactions running and SQL is not able to get the LCK_M_SCH_M and end the rebuild.

so, for me, today it feels as "not exactly online index rebuild". I would put it at 10%.

If you had 1 failure out of 10 tries equating to 10% then by that accounting you can reasonably look forward to 90 error-free online rebuilds before your next failure...on average

Seriously though, the 99% was not meant to be thought of as a success-rate. If you have a very busy system, even though the rebuild only asks for short-lived stability-type locks at the beginning and end of the rebuild, i.e. the rebuild displays properties of an online process during 99% of its operations and only displays offline properties for 1% of its operations, you can still run into problems during that 1% on a very regular basis on a busy system.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1541026
Posted Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:17 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 6:54 AM
you are correct, @opc.three. I just wanted to point out that even the unexpected should be expected at some point in time, given a large enough installed base.

I had to schedule this index rebuild, it took almost an hour to be able to hold a schema lock for 1 second (the table is small, around 25mb), but it worked after all!
Post #1541105
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse