Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Need help using the most efficient aggregation method in SQL Server 2008 R2 to sum up child rows in same table Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:32 AM
steve.pantazis (1/7/2013)
........ Long story short, we need to rewrite our aggregation routines, and it looks like you're pointing us in the right direction.

Steve

I would entirely agree with your comment and suggest you read and reread the article in question.

I am sure that you will be able to increase performance.

regards

ps....whilst the solution I provided may work...I wouldnt be looking to implement in production ...was only suggested to get the discussion going some more...both to help you and to assist my own learning.

Post #1403760
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:09 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:31 PM
Yes, agreed. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but it's necessary. Thanks again for your contribution.
Post #1403764
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:16 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 7:32 AM
steve.pantazis (1/7/2013)
Yes, agreed. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but it's necessary. Thanks again for your contribution.

Steve

may be worth your while posting some "base data examples" here on the forum and see what the collective mindset comes back with......you never know

Post #1403769
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:23 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:31 PM
That sounds good. What I will do is work on the aggregation queries and then post my solution using a sample dataset. Then the community can analyze the solution and either use the methodology to help them, or offer a more optimized method.
Post #1403773
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse