Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

cannot connect to sql server named instance Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:08 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:28 AM
Hi Experts,

I created a named instance, I am a DBA , i can connect to named instance using SERVERNAME\INSTANCE name, but none of the developers are able to connect to it in same way. But they are successfull by giving SERVERNAME,PORTNUMBER,

Please help me to find the reason for this..

Thanks all
Post #1402466
Posted Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
Sqlism (1/3/2013)
Hi Experts,

I created a named instance, I am a DBA , i can connect to named instance using SERVERNAME\INSTANCE name, but none of the developers are able to connect to it in same way. But they are successfull by giving SERVERNAME,PORTNUMBER,

Please help me to find the reason for this..

Thanks all

Are you connecting locally while logged into the server or from a remote workstation in the same network segment as the developers?

1. Make sure the SQL Browser service is started.
2. Make sure UDP port 1434 (port used by Native Client to reach SQL Browser service) is open between the developer workstations and the server.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1402476
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse