Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

New Year's Math Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:14 AM
Good topic for a question. However since I always try to get the answer without running the code I tend to really dislike questions with this level of nested logic. I am horrible at being a sql engine but pretty decent at deciphering code. I was unable to keep focus long enough to decipher the overly complicated query. I think you could have presented the idea with a far less complicated query.

That being said the explanation was good and it is always good to have a refresher on how these functions work. Thanks for the question.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1402421
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:09 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:35 AM
I solved it like Toreador, but at the same time I found the explanation about the literals interesting.

thanks for the question!

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1402430
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:52 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:20 PM
Interesting question -- I figured out the date math but had to find what that ODBC syntax was about. There is always something new or so far unexplored to learn. Thanks!
Post #1402459
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:15 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:46 AM
Nice question. I enjoyed it.

The "flying duck" code layout made it easy to check that the parentheses matched up, so could see easily that there was no syntax error unless it was caused by those strange literals. So I had to find out what those strange literals were before going any further. First I hit on Date, Time, and Timestamp Literals but the nasty typo on that page ("-type" for "literal-type") confused me so I looked further and found Date, Time, and Timestamp Escape Sequences which gave me what I needed (and showed clearly that my confusion with the earlier page was due to a typo) so now I knew there wasn't a syntax error.

So then I could follow a process much like what some others have mentioned. Since a lot of things were added, all integer multiples of one second and none of them zero, the miliseconds in the result had to be the same as in the starting point (non-zero) and the resulting datetime had to be greater than the starting point - so only one of the options fitted the bill. No need to do any arithmetic - but it made me think!

Tom
Post #1402629
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 1:31 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:09 AM
Very interesting question. But a lot of reading

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1402742
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:24 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:54 PM
Easy One!
Post #1407420
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse