Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

2013 Goals Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 10:35 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:31 PM
TravisDBA (12/28/2012)
Learning Sharepoint 2010+ should be on everyone's goals because the entire Microsoft technology is being intertwined with it now.

I tend to agree. This is one I've considered.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1400974
Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 10:50 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
I have two things. XE and PoSH.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1400978
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 14, 2014 4:11 AM
I too will be studying hard for the 70-461 exam. I'm also going to learn some .NET.
Post #1401175
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 7:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:53 PM
Goal #1 for me is to find new employment. I think I've done as much as I can for the company here; my presence is literally handled entirely through modifiable automation (which, with our database being a mere 2GB of almost purely static data, was easy to attain). I'm still being paid for my time, but my skills aren't growing here in the slightest beyond what I can read and practice on my workstation instance.

Goal #2 is to take the 70-461 myself before the end of 2013. The one area I'm still rusty at is HA, mostly because I haven't been able to implement it at my current workplace. Definitely going to buy a copy of Developer's Edition and get to that as soon as I can with my home computer, along with throwing all manner of tests at the poor thing

----------------------------------
My journal of things I'm learning about SQL
Post #1401394
Posted Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
1. Learn Extended Events well enough to where I never need to use Profiler/Trace again. That is, as long as I am working on a SQL Server 2012 instance.
2. Learn PowerShell 3.0 formally and comprehensively instead of the bits and pieces of Microsoft documentation, random blog posts and hacking around that helped me pickup the very small amount of PowerShell 1.0 and 2.0 I have in my toolkit. The end-goal is to make all my T-SQL admin scripts server-aware via PowerShell starting with log shipping and database backups. I just purchased Don Jones' new book so I know what I'll be doing during lunch every day in January.
PS 3. Almost forgot, develop a working knowledge of Analysis Services. It is one of the few areas of SQL Server (that have been included in more than the newest release) that I have not worked with. The new shop (started 3 weeks ago) is said to be ~5% Analysis Services and I have an opportunity to "pick it up as I go, as time allows." It's obviously not front and center on my mind but it is a nice situation to be in...maybe I'll find time in Q2

Thanks for the post, Steve.

Happy New Year!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1401596
Posted Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:17 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 11:33 PM
I having been planning this for the last three months , this year its going to be Hadoop and Mongo DB for me.
I would like to pick up Powershell too but its not so high on my list.

Jayanth Kurup
Post #1401597
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:02 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:30 PM
My goals are to finish all the SQL books I've bought, I've one chapter left of Defensive Database Programming, A few misc chapters of internals, the 3 cert books and a few others.

After reading the cert books i want to finish the MCSE for 2012 this year so i can concentrate on everything that opc.three said.
Post #1401892
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:25 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:57 AM
My goal for 2013 is to get the following certifications:

MCTS: (432) Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
MCTS: (448) Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance

Wish me luck!

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1401913
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:33 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:08 PM
Ian Massi (12/28/2012)
My goal is to get my coworker trained up to handle more of the admin stuff on SQL Server. He's already a great developer on the platform but having someone available to fill in for me when I'm on vacation or just otherwise occupied will make us a more productive team. We started on this back in November and since I'm taking vacation early in the new year, it should help show us where we need to concentrate.

Heck, just this morning I was going to modify a replication process and then thought, "Hold on, I'll get him to do this when he's back from vacation next week."

How do you get a co-worker to come up to speed (at least at your own level, if not higher), when they don't want to bother making the effort and there's only the 2 of you?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1402066
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:09 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:51 PM
Rod at work (1/2/2013)
How do you get a co-worker to come up to speed (at least at your own level, if not higher), when they don't want to bother making the effort and there's only the 2 of you?

Quit or take a *LONG* vacation and "accidentally" let your cell battery go flat and forget your charger / drop your cell in the pool / run over your cell with your car / forget your cell at the office on your desk...

Seriously though, that falls into the old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" sort of thing. Sadly, I feel the same way about most of the people I work with, they don't want to take the time to learn, they want the answers handed to them on a platter. Many a time I've simply Googled the exact problem they've come to me with, and clicked the link for the answer, with them standing next to me.

Jason
Post #1402075
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse