Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Load Poll Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, December 21, 2012 11:56 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:46 AM
cfradenburg (12/21/2012)

And thus concludes my TPS report.

Ah.... yeaaahhhh... you see, we've changed to a new TPS report format, and that... that's the old format. Yeahhhh... we send a memo out, and I'll get you a copy of it tomorrow... because, yeahhhh, we'll need you to come in on Saturday. At 9.

Most of our systems peak in the low tens and average single digits. Our few very large production systems average low to mid triple digits, with peaks in the low to mid four-digit numbers, though performance during those peaks is still quite good.

Note that of course "transactions" can be small or large, and thus don't say a whole lot by themselves.
Post #1399541
Posted Friday, December 21, 2012 11:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
Vila Restal (12/21/2012)

Lastly, this method of collecting a poll isn't very efficient for you or the contributors.
Does this blog not have a survey facility or at least a thread that can be voted on?

Polls don't work well here. We've tried, and they often are forcing people into a certain answer. I was hoping to get counts and some background, just as you gave.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1399542
Posted Friday, December 21, 2012 12:40 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, January 18, 2013 10:31 AM
Situation: 60GB production database for medium-sized company, 700+ web users during the day, some usage 7*24.

We've never thought about our system in terms of TPS... we just focus on CPU utilization on the database server. Our machine runs all 8 cores between 20 and 40% during the business day, and down to 1% overnight. Whenever utilization gets over 50% our users start to complain about speed, and it's almost always some explainable cause.

In the last 30 seconds we've been between 20 and 40%, and SQL says we've done 86,000 transactions... so I guess we're running 2,800 TPS.

We can take the system down during off hours (with advance notice) for up to an hour with no problem. More than an hour offline starts to cause real problems with the team serving our customers.

Our biggest performance pain point is trying to get big jobs done overnight. We have to sequence backup, export to data warehouse, synchs with other databases, and 45 minutes worth of database maintenance scripts so they don't run concurrently, but our overnight users always feel real system slowdowns in the depths of the night.

Post #1399556
Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 5:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:17 AM
Im designing a system to scale to 12,000 TPS. It involved some clever tricks such as using Service Broker for Lazy processing.

Sql Server Blog
Sql Server Consultancy
Post #1400876
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse