Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Those Who Can, Do Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Simian336 (12/19/2012)
I got my opinion of certification when I once worked with a newly certified CCNA. We were work on a router when the CCNA guys says "wait while I hook up to the com port". We say you are already on the network just telnet to it. CCNA guys says "you can't telnet to a router".

LOL....

Mike

ROTFLMFAO Priceless Mike!!! That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about with people braindumping these tests. Enough said.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1398423
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:06 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 12:50 PM
Interesting. The link in the editorial takes me to an article about dynamic retail pricing.

Aha! The URL in the editorial has "amp;" in it where it shouldn't. Take that out and you get the right article.

On the subject of the editorial:

However if the certification gives you structure and focus, if it allows you to improve the skills you have, and bolster the weak areas in your knowledge, it can be beneficial to your career. If you are taking that knowledge and using it in your daily work, or even in your spare time, then the certification is merely a stepping stone to something greater.

How is that any different from any other method of learning? Search-and-replace "the certification" with "reading books":

However if reading books gives you structure and focus, if it allows you to improve the skills you have, and bolster the weak areas in your knowledge, it can be beneficial to your career. If you are taking that knowledge and using it in your daily work, or even in your spare time, then reading books is merely a stepping stone to something greater.

Replace with "fiddling with Facebook", and it would still be a perfectly valid argument.

However if fiddling with Facebook gives you structure and focus, if it allows you to improve the skills you have, and bolster the weak areas in your knowledge, it can be beneficial to your career. If you are taking that knowledge and using it in your daily work, or even in your spare time, then fiddling with Facebook is merely a stepping stone to something greater.

Logically consistent, and, if true for someone, then a valid argument. It's a bit of a stretch to assume it would be true, but if you assume that most of the person's Facebook time was spent on discussions about SQL, similar to time spent on these forums, then it's conceivable.

Seems like it's a tautology, to me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1398432
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:30 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 2:58 AM
Some companies use their employees certifications to retain their status in the Microsoft Partnership program too. Employees might not even be aware of this! I was not when a former employee had me on their partner profile.

- Chris
Post #1398451
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
Years ago I had two interns, one from the local state university (major was Physics ) and one from the local blue chip liberal arts school (major was MIS). Mr. Physics took to IT like fish to water and I could throw him just about anything. Mr. MIS was good at reading the newspaper. The lesson for me was not to read too much into labels.
Post #1398453
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:38 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

I read an article recently that spoke about a similar topic...major of IS versus major of CS, with the author preferring CS.

- Chris
Post #1398457
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:42 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, November 2, 2014 4:00 AM
I'm currently studying for the 70-461 - Querying SQL Server 2012 exam because the company I just started at needs to have us certified to retain their Microsoft Silver Certified Partner designation. Its kind of a "foot in the door" thing, to impress new customers, but its also about getting the SQL Server software cheaper.

However, I fully intend to get all three of the certifications eventually, on my own, regardless of it being required or not. I haven't done a lot of Reporting Services and BI work so studying for that exam will be a real challenge, which to me is the whole point. If you're not challenging yourself every day then you're going to stagnate. You also need to keep up to date with each new version. The exam itself is not the goal, but it is a good, objective measurement of where you're at.

And if you're half as good as you think you are, you shouldn't need to even study for it, just go ahead and write the exam. What are you afraid of?

Post #1398464
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:56 AM
SSCommitted

I am of that similar belief...just take the exam. If I fail, then I know I need to study.

- Chris
Post #1398474
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
KGERBR (12/19/2012)
I'm currently studying for the 70-461 - Querying SQL Server 2012 exam because the company I just started at needs to have us certified to retain their Microsoft Silver Certified Partner designation. Its kind of a "foot in the door" thing, to impress new customers, but its also about getting the SQL Server software cheaper.

However, I fully intend to get all three of the certifications eventually, on my own, regardless of it being required or not. I haven't done a lot of Reporting Services and BI work so studying for that exam will be a real challenge, which to me is the whole point. If you're not challenging yourself every day then you're going to stagnate. You also need to keep up to date with each new version. The exam itself is not the goal, but it is a good, objective measurement of where you're at.

And if you're half as good as you think you are, you shouldn't need to even study for it, just go ahead and write the exam. What are you afraid of?

First off, I am not afraid of a test. Secondly, I have nothing to prove. A piece of paper is not going to prove/confirm my skill set to anyone anyway. My ability and expereince to do the job on a daily basis does. Thirdly, I don't need a test to be challenged, if you do then you need to re-evaluate your work ethic. I am challenged every day in my work... Also, the Microsoft Partner program has to do with Microsoft's "vested" interest I was referring to above. It has nothing to do with you improving your career. The Certification programs/tests are a "big easy" moneymaker for them. Never forget that fact. Finally, The exam is NOT a good, objective measurement of where you're at as long as they can be braindumped.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1398477
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:08 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:16 PM
In general, certification mainly helps if you do not have a lot of experience. Once you have experience, people that are worth working for will focus on that.
Post #1398486
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:58 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
In 1999 I decided that I wanted to improve my knowledge through structured learning i.e. through lessons not "playing" with technology. As I was fairly committed to the idea and would have to pay in some form I decided it mist be demonstrable on the CV. This boiled down to a choice of either certification or part time MSc.

I was working freelance (as I still do) and was asked to assist my client with recruitment. It turned out that there was a whole raft of people applying for work with certifications. Nearly all of whom really couldn't do the job they were claiming to be experts at. The client decided that he would not consider certification as a filter at all.

I decided then to do the MSc which gave be a better theoretical background which I could enhance with experience. For me this is the better combination; applicable technical knowledge together with sound experience.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1398522
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse