Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

HOW TO GET THE VALUE OF SQL TABLE ROW INDEX Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:56 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 12, 2013 7:25 AM
How can you get the value of a table COLUMN INDEX.
Post #1398114
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:20 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:11 PM
Could you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1398212
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:19 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 9:39 AM
Are you trying to do something like this?

Select ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY FirstName, LastName) AS RowNumber, FirstName, LastName

Output
RowNumber FirstName LastName
1 Joe Smith
2 Joe Thomas
3 Joe Williams
Post #1398963
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:09 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, July 12, 2013 7:25 AM
I am trying to write a Master/detail code and can't get off to a start on it. I have been working on this this for over a week now. I have already written all the code thats Add,Update,Delete for forms for other areas of this program and all that works well.
I am trying to get the data out of each column of all the rows in a datagridview and add it to a lists, and then loop through the list pulling out the column data for each row if i can get this I know how to get it in the database. This is a 3 layer program, and I am using Class Objects. For example I have class (Trips which stores the code for the objects in this table, I have a Class called TripsDB which is dose all the database work.

Any Takers
Thanks so much
Post #1399202
Posted Friday, December 21, 2012 12:40 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:11 PM
Why looping? SQL doesn't need any form of looping to get master-detail information. You'd write a single query with a join across the two tables. Something like this:

SELECT Master.Col1, Master.Col2, Detail.Col1, Detail.Col2, /*more columns*/ FROM Master INNER JOIN Detail on Master.PrimaryKeyColumn = Detail.MasterPrimaryKey

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1399228
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse