Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Slow Week Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:32 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Often, the weeks leading up to the holidays are quite slow. Lots of people on vacation, so little gets done project-wise because of missing chickens/pigs (if you're familiar with SCRUM project management) or participants (if you aren't).

So, my question is, what kind of things do other DBAs do during that slow period? Assuming you have such a time period any time during the year and aren't non-stop frantic 24x7x365.25.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1397985
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:16 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:54 PM
We personally have a few hundred servers and over 1000 databases. I'm taking this time to review all space issues, fragmentation issues, what indexes are not working, what may help them work better, and overall just working on training. We live mostly to put out fires, so it's time to seriously work on performance and work on making things move smoother is a great use of our time.

Anyone else?

Post #1397998
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:25 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:06 AM
I would tend to agree with Fluffy catch up on maintenance things, learn something new, read up on one of those articles I've had bookmarks to for several months, however the reality tends to be that I end up trying to get back to projects that were swept to the side while dealing with "fires"...

I think I can honestly say, being a DBA at our firm there's never really non-stop frantic time

Post #1398121
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:20 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:52 PM
I sped a good portion of my time helping others with their problems, etc. I can't wait for it to "get slow" so I can get some of the stuff I want to do to the servers done!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1398133
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:08 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
i also spend my non-working time on sqlservercentral (70% reading articles + 30% helping people). generally it takes 3-4 hours daily.

I wish my manager is not member of sqlservercentral.finger crossed .

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1398176
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse