Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Better Licensing for SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:34 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Better Licensing for SQL Server

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1396905
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:53 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:35 PM
I definately agree. It would be nice to have a method to easily determine what a particular scenerio would cost licensing wise as you are starting to architect a solution. It would help in making specific decisions that would affect the final solution.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1396910
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:55 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:31 AM
This is one of the more confusing areas of the product for me, and one that can't really be mastered by technical skill. Perhaps a Microsoft Connect item is in order. Unfortunately, this connect feedback is the only pertinent thing I could find in a minute or two.
Post #1396932
Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 4:26 PM
Agreed, I grasped that per VM there are 4 core licenses necessary. So you only need 4 no matter the underlying hardware cluster (if you only use 4 virtual cpu's and 1 VM)?
Post #1396980
Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:00 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:40 PM
I am happy to see this addressed, even if only in an article like this. Licensing for SQL Server is so bad our organization is considering moving to Oracle! There are people in management who feel Oracle is less expensive.

Dave
Post #1397004
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 2:21 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:55 AM
The new licensing model is hurting Microsoft’s own business in the long run. Profit can be made in several ways, especially for software the best way is to have a small profit on as many costless copies as you can. While the new SQL Server (1012) has some interesting features that I would love to use, that may not happen for another 5 years due to the current licensing policy.

For many small businesses, upgrading or even licensing anything under the new policy is a no go as it is way too costly and restrictive. Microsoft looks like the new Oracle in respect to this, squeezing what they can for no sensible reason. It’s a shame as the low cost of licensing and operational use is what gave SQL Server a wide adaptation in the first place. And that was not a bad business if you ask me!
Post #1397150
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 2:45 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:15 AM
If you can't understand the licensing model then how can you be sure you are in compliance with it?

I've actually had two conversations with different Microsoft resellers who contradicted each other on licencing so if the resellers don't get it then how can anyone.

As with all legal documents the licences seem to be written to give the legal team a hard on rather than to communicate useful information to customers.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1397158
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 8:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

David.Poole (12/17/2012)
If you can't understand the licensing model then how can you be sure you are in compliance with it?

I've actually had two conversations with different Microsoft resellers who contradicted each other on licencing so if the resellers don't get it then how can anyone.

As with all legal documents the licences seem to be written to give the legal team a hard on rather than to communicate useful information to customers.

Completely agree.

Post #1397279
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 9:33 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
Sorry to come to the ball late but here is another opinion.

Amazon and a number of others have identified a way of doing business. You go to the "shelves" through pages and request what you want. You put it in a shopping cart and when you think you are done you review what you got there before you order. With the potential shipping list are an estimate of all cost of the products requested. There are opportunities to select discounts or prepaid cards that might effect the price and users can check those as they need to. But when done they can buy. They can also print off the potential order and the list prices.

Could Microsoft do that in a new area in the "Microsoft Store"? Could you view a page that using some form of AI asks you and assists you in selection of the appropriate SQL Server version and associated functionality to meet your needs. And when you are where you think you should be could you print that out or make a copy somehow and sent it through the system to your rep?

I know that this sounds too simple and that it does not get to the finer points of ordering, but it would at least start to identify what you want and what you might need to do the current business and have reason able expansion. And I know that there are discounts and buying programs out there for SQL server and other like products but I would think that without too much effort MS could build something that could get it mostly right.

Just thinking out loud.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1397322
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 10:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Miles Neale (12/17/2012)

Could Microsoft do that in a new area in the "Microsoft Store"? Could you view a page that using some form of AI asks you and assists you in selection of the appropriate SQL Server version and associated functionality to meet your needs.

Not a bad idea. It would require some good questions to help flesh out scenarios, but I'd anticipate that things not covered could get added back to the "store" in relatively quick fashion.

Post #1397337
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse