Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Loading change data from AS400 (or other source systems) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:52 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:36 PM
Greetings all!

So I will keep this concise as I can; I have a source as400 system I am extracting data from for a Data Warehouse. The standard method is to load data from this system into staging tables, then do further ETL from there into the Data Warehouse. The current method to load the staging tables is to wipe all data (truncate) and load fresh so it captures deletions, updates, and additions.

Problem is, the as400 is now in a hosted environment, and the data is growing quite large so loading these 30Gb of data.

So my question is....is there a way to directly query the data at the source for changes, updates, and deletions and handle this dynamically without wiping and loading every night?

I am fairly proficient with BIDS, but to be honest I do not know which method to use in this situation so any help is greatly appreciated!

Link to my blog http://notyelf.com/
Post #1393133
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:28 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:47 PM
shannonjk (12/5/2012)
So I will keep this concise as I can; I have a source as400 system I am extracting data from for a Data Warehouse. The standard method is to load data from this system into staging tables, then do further ETL from there into the Data Warehouse. The current method to load the staging tables is to wipe all data (truncate) and load fresh so it captures deletions, updates, and additions.

Problem is, the as400 is now in a hosted environment, and the data is growing quite large so loading these 30Gb of data.

So my question is....is there a way to directly query the data at the source for changes, updates, and deletions and handle this dynamically without wiping and loading every night?

This is a question about the capabilities of the data/database on your source system. Do you have Modified Date and Create Date fields on all of your tables that are correct & trustworthy in the source data? Do you just mark a record with a deleted flag? or does it actually get deleted from the db? (Not a problem either way, you just need to handle the two situations differently).

I don't know your source system; but if you can identify the changes accurately on your source system, then we can talk about ETL steps for incrementally loading/updating your staging tables.

HTH,
Rob
Post #1393476
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:04 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Hi Robert thank you for your response!

To answer your questions; Yes there are Modified dates and Created dates (In our system they are called Change Date and Entry Date, but all a matter of semantics )

The records that are deleted are physically deleted.

Post #1393630
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 6:00 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:47 PM
shannonjk (12/6/2012)
Hi Robert thank you for your response!

To answer your questions; Yes there are Modified dates and Created dates (In our system they are called Change Date and Entry Date, but all a matter of semantics )

The records that are deleted are physically deleted.

So you know which records need to be added to your warehouse because their entry dates are since your last ETL run. You know which records need to be updated in your warehouse (or deleted and reloaded) based upon the change date being since the last ETL run. For deleted records, you need to find all business/alternate keys in you warehouse that are not in the source system (AS 400) and then remove from the warehouse.

Piece of cake.

HTH,
Rob
Post #1394023
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 10:18 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Robert,

Thank you for the response however, I am looking for the actual method involved in SSIS, not whether it is possible or not.

I am aware of how to query data based on the entry dates and change dates. If it were a simple matter of throwing together some SQL then I wouldn't have needed to post this question . Perhaps I should have stated my original question better though

I am concerned with the HOW on this; as in what data flow items do I use to achieve monitoring the absent keys, newer entry dates, and altered change dates? Or if there is a good link that explains this methodology?

Post #1394157
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 7:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:38 AM
I guess my question would be, why do you need to use SSIS for this task? Why not just grab the data using OPENQUERY from a linked server with the correct criteria and do a fairly typical and simple "upsert" from the staging table?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1394293
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 9:33 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Jeff Moden (12/7/2012)
I guess my question would be, why do you need to use SSIS for this task? Why not just grab the data using OPENQUERY from a linked server with the correct criteria and do a fairly typical and simple "upsert" from the staging table?

From that logic, why even bother developing SSIS in the first place?

I can run queries against the source using a linked server but it is much slower than using SSIS (naturally, since SSIS has engines designed for ETL) so using this method would just make things slower.

Also, according to Microsoft Library, and OPENQUERY cannot accept variables for it's argument which would defeat the purpose of this.

Last but not least I am using the parallelism ability of SSIS to load multiple concurrent streams of data. Using SQL scripts kind of defeats this purpose.

I am not sure why no one is really answering my question. I will go back to google and see if I can find something.

Post #1394301
Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:53 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:38 AM
shannonjk (12/7/2012)
Jeff Moden (12/7/2012)

From that logic, why even bother developing SSIS in the first place?

That IS where I was going with this.

I'm not trying to have an argument with you here, Shannon... I just want to let you know what is fairly easily possible.

I can run queries against the source using a linked server but it is much slower than using SSIS (naturally, since SSIS has engines designed for ETL) so using this method would just make things slower.

While I agree that writing a query directly against an AS400 Linked Server will be slower, I've found that OPENQUERY runs quite fast in comparison. I've not done a deep dive on why but, since I can use AS400 locking hints in the query, I believe it's because it throws the query "over the wall" and actually executes on the AS400 itself and simply passed the result set back.

Also, according to Microsoft Library, and OPENQUERY cannot accept variables for it's argument which would defeat the purpose of this.

Correct. It can't... directly. Without much complication, though, a bit of dynamic SQL goes a long way here. I do it all the time.

Last but not least I am using the parallelism ability of SSIS to load multiple concurrent streams of data. Using SQL scripts kind of defeats this purpose.

Not really. Using T-SQL, you can tell SQL Server to asyncronusly execute multiple jobs in parallel and just check for job completion. Works a treat for parallel loads.

I am not sure why no one is really answering my question. I will go back to google and see if I can find something.

I can't speak for anyone else but my reasons are all outlined above. I don't use SSIS for anything so I can't tell you how to use it.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1394352
Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:10 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Thank you for your response Jeff.

I do apologize for my post before, I have been under quite a lot of stress and am severely sleep deprived.

Also, in 9 years of doing this, SSIS (or previously DTS) has always been used to extract data from a source system, so I guess hearing "don't use SSIS" seems a bit odd to me.

I will however give OPENQUERY some testing and see where I get with this.

I do not know however, how to execute concurrent jobs, so if you don't mind, could you please elaborate on that one

Post #1394353
Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:12 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Also one further quick question; since I do have 75+ tables I am loading on a nightly basis...would I just create multiple jobs to handle this load instead of multiple SSIS packages?

Post #1394354
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse